James river bank fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by zcat, Sep 5, 2007.

1. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would like to come down from ohio to try some bank fishing. Is it possible to catch blues from the bank in the winter there? Thanks

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sure are. You can go to Dutch Gap and fish a good stretch of river up and downstream from the ramp. Also, Osbourne landing has a public pier and people have caught nice ones from there. Deep Bottom also has a small area where people can fish from.

Unfortunately, there are not many places down river from Deep Bottom that offer bank fishing opportunities. Perhaps somebody can chime in with a spot I've missed.

Good luck. Winter is a great time to fish the James.

3. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    come on down to buggs island and i'll put you on my boat and catch cats all day long the wife and kin are from ohio,I don't tidal fish for catfish, where's the challange? there is none! drop me a pm and we'll set it up 1bigblue:cool2:

4. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    ive never fished the james before but will probably try it up there myself before to much longer. i have been fishing at buggs island some this year and had pretty good luck up there.
    i was up there a while back and we caught 16 cats and 46 crappie. good luck to ya wherever you go.

5. cattin tonight

cattin tonight New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey 1bigblue you seem to always be putting down the lower james river (tidal) area, and the fisherman like myself that spend lots of time on the water locating these monster catfish. If you prefer to fish buggs island thats fine, but dont put others down or the water we fish just because we out catch you in quality and quanity.