James River Bait Rigging

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Deep Dunker, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Deep Dunker

Deep Dunker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a question about rigging baits for the James around Deep Bottom and Dutch Gap.

With herring we are rigging them whole but with shad are yourigging candy shad whole and live if possible? And with cutters how big are you rigging these - half a shad, etc?

Just wondering what you all are doing on the James - In 2 years have yet to pull anything bigger than around 25 pounds, wondering if I am going to small a bait.

Thanks.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If huge gizzard shad 2 pounds, I use the head whole and get three cuts from the gut pocket. Anything below the gut pocket gets tossed aside in the boat until the end of the day. Smaller Gizzards I get at least two cuts. Head and gut pocket. Sometimes I put a whole small Gizzard on as one bait after cutting off the tail and slicing the gut pocket so it bleeds nice and nasty. The fish I am holding, I caught last March on a whole minus tail small gizzard shad. I have fished the same part of the James as you for 5 years. Since I live close by, I can fish the river 20 or so times a year. Advise on catching big fish is use bigger baits and fish where you see other people fishing, (Later). :wink:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Kenneth pretty much summed it up. You can also try to vary your presentation sometimes. For example, for about a two week period this fall, side fillets were the only thing that worked for me and not the standard cuts.

As for the candies, if they are large enough you can fish them whole. Also heard of some using multiple candies on a single hook.

Eels worked well in warmer weather. You can't buy a fish on them now.

But the guys that catch the big ones consistently always say the bigger baits catch bigger fish. The bite might be slower as a result, but when you get one, it's a fish to remember, as evidenced by Kenneths fish.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    With the live larger bait what size hook would be best? Also what about some little live bluegill or perch. I was thinking I could go to a small pond catch some little fish then head out to the James and catch some larger fish. I don't really want to go by a shad unless its the only thing that will work.I can catch a bunch of little fish in no time.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Before I bought a gill net, I used to stop at the pond in my neighborhood and catch a mess of brim, (Bluegills) to use in case I had a tough time finding shad with the cast net. I have caught plenty of 20-40 pounders in the James using whole and half a brim depending on the size of brim. Good luck.

6. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    I generally throw the candies back... have had no luck on them... I use only gizzard shad and in the spring whole or half herring. I use 8 or 10 oz sinkers with 8/0 or 10/0 circle offset hooks. I want the bait to stay where I put it and I use 2 or 3 inch pieces of bait from head to iinch past gut pocket. Throw the tail back in bait bucket until done with the hole, then overboard.. In doing this it keeps the fish in the general area, but not feeding them until you are done a hole and making them full so no one else can fish your honey holes... I do this on a regular basis and catch fish 30 to 60 lbs on a regular basis. The bigger the bait the bigger the fish.. believe it or not... time on the river will make u a believer.

7. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    You can put a perch on whole, no problem. Bass Pro in Charolotte, NC had to remove a 65 pound blue catfish from their tank because when they came in one morning, they noticed that he had eaten a largemouth bass from the tank - a 7 pound largemouth!!!! I don't think you will find a perch that a 50 pound or better blue can't swallow whole. I personally caught a 50 pounder on a whole live crappie, just after breaking a big one off on a live bluegill. If you find a big hungry blue, he'll eat it. Mike Ostrander (James River fishing school) put a whole 2 pound shad (minus tail) on his line and caught one that was 65 pounds. As someone already said "BIG BAIT = BIG FISH" You may not get much action, but if you do get a bite, you'd better hang on!

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kenneth its right on it, use his advise you cant go wrong! thats how i rig my bait and have caught many 40+ 50+ and 1 64lb hog!!

9. mcal762

mcal762 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I see that most folks are using 6-8oz sinkers. What type of rig are you using? I've been using a 6oz egg sinker with a swivel and then a 12-16 leader with a 7/0 hook. Will that work or should i use a different set up. Also I fish out of Jordon Point by the bridge, usually on the north side by the paper mill area. I see folks anchored on the side of the channel is this the place to be? fishing the channel edges on the bend of the river? thanks for any info.
    Mcal

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City