James River Bait Options

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by FATFLATTIE, Nov 30, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I fish a tidal river here in NC and I was wondering if you guys have ever had any success using some kinda off the wall baits. Has anyone here ever used blue crab, popeye mullet/jumping mullet, or eel and if so have ya done anything using these particular baits. I know that all of these visit the tidal water I fish so I just want to know if they are a viable bait option.

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    we have many options on bait in the james river but the vast majority of forrage bait is the gizzard shad ...readly available and the blues love them. Every thing that falls to the cast net is bait!!!!

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Crab, Mullet, and Eel will all work. Sometimes blues will prefer the eels to shad. But lately shad seems to be the hot ticket. I've heard of others using crab with success. And I don't see any reason why mullet won't work either.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i lived in seadrift texas i fished the guadalupe river above the salt water barrier and i used mullet that i caught out in the bay for bait.seemed to work good as i paid my bills with the fish i caught.

5. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Shad has been the cheapest, easiest bait to use.. the most success I have had, has been with bream heads. Fished side by side with shad the bream heads have alwasy done the best...may be a fluke.. but I don't know.

6. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    I have used soft shell crabs with great success during the hot summers on the chickhominy,but shad and bluegill are my choice:wink:

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wouldn't know from experience but all the articles I've read Shad is the way to go for the big ones. They have just developed a taste for it over time whatever that means.
    david