James River Bait Help

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by FISH PIMP, Jan 13, 2006.

1. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Hope all is well with everyone. I am new to this forum. Me and a buddy of mine are going to make our first trip to the James this Saturday (1/13/06) from Northern Virginia to try and catch one of these monster blues. I have been doing alot of research and it seems that most of you catch your own bait with gill nets. Since I do not own one or have a license to use one is there any local bait shops i.e Surf Side Bait & Tackel that sell fresh gizzard shad. We will be heading out of Osboure Landing Saturday and Sunday mornings heading to the Dutch Gap. I am also going to try the 295 bridge, Jones Neck Cut Off and possible the mouth of the Appomattox River (feel free to give me some insight on these areas).

Thanks for all the help,

FISH PIMP

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Fish pimp, have you got a cast net?

/Scott

3. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Unfortunately I do not have a cast net. Is this my only option. Thanks for the quick reply.

FISH PIMP

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nice Salmon! I come from the south (chesapeake) so I am not familiar with what the local bait shops have to offer.

I am watching the forecast with interest at the moment. Had hoped to fish downriver tomorrow but it looks like it may be a bit too windy for me and my Jon Boat, which means, IF I GO, I will most likely go out of Osbourne and fish upriver where I could "hopefully" get a little reprieve from the wind.

If I do, I will gladly hook you up with bait. Other than that, if you're not able to find anything, the best bet may be to hit up other boats on the river in hopes that they can help you out.

I won't make a decision until early this evening. When I do, I'll send you a PM.

I'm pretty die hard about it so there's a good chance I'll be going!!

/Scott

5. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    looks like i'll be on the water .. i'd like to help you with bait however i'm not sure where i'm going to launch yet .. i was going to try and stay downriver but with this wind rolling through i may stay up towards where you're launching

what kind of boat will you be in?

fin and skin on route 5 before you turn to go to deep bottom has bait .. problem is i'm not sure what time they open and how much bait they have this time of year .. not to mention if they didn't open til 9 you'd be losing valuable time on the water .. normally the morning bite is the best

6. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    I used Fin and Skin several times before i got my nets and the earliest the opened was right around 7:30ish... so i was always forced to get my bait the day before if i was going out early.. they have a good supply of frozen shad...if it's cold outside, they will never thaw though so they may be tough to cut. They have live eels as well in stock. I think they sell the shad for something like $3.99/bag and 3 medium sized shad come in each bag...

Best of luck to all of you going out this weekend!

Tank and Scott- look foward to ya'll's report on here!

--Matt--

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Let's hope the report is a good one!!!

Tank, I'll have that GPS with me so I'll try and hook up with you on the water at some point, provided I go. I'll send you a PM tonite once I know for sure.

/Scott

8. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    You guys are awsome. Thanks for all the help. I just went out and purchased a cast net. Don't know how to use it though but have seen it done before. I'll be in a 16 foot Bass Tracker Panfish Special. I drive a black Dakota RT so if you see it at the landing I'll be out. I am also very die hard and since I will be driving from Whinchester, I'll be out no matter what the conditions are. What type of conditions do I want to look for if I am going to use the cast net. By the way I catch all the Salmon in upstate NY in Pulaski on the Salmon River.

Thanks again and FISH ON!

Pete

9. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i'll be getting to the river about 730

if you want to follow me for bait you can

downriver from osbourne you'll go past the power plant then dutch gap boat ramp .. about a mile after that you'll see the bridge and you'll be in a spot where the river goes left, right, front, and back .. if you turn right you may see some bait there .. if you hang out there trying to get bait between 730-830 i'll keep my eyes open for you and give you my extra bait

if you want to throw the cast net until i get there, there's a duck blind about a quarter mile back that side channel .. throw from there back towards the main river .. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT throw your cast net past that duck blind unless you are intent on buying a new one .. there's a sunken barge a few hundred yards passed that and tons of junk is scattered across the bottom there

i'll be in a 17ft grey triton boat with a jet motor on it .. you can tell me by my bright orange texas hat .. altho early in the morning i may replace that with my full face mask to keep warm

in fact if you haven't seen me by 800 call my cell phone and i'll meet you
    540-907-1949 .. call me tank and i'll know you're from the board

10. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    hey pimp change of plans .. i won't be in the area of osbourne tomorrow .. we're gonna try and cooperate with the wind and go down river a bit

if you're fishing sunday let me know and i'll gladly help you with bait

11. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    hey pimp i'm not gonna be on the water tomorrow .. we had a REALLY bad day today .. almost didn't make it back to the ramp .. story to follow

if you get this message and can access your email i can give you pin point instructions on where to get bait

sorry i wasn't able to help you as much as i wanted .. i hope you guys found bait and found some HAWGS!

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I never ran into him today. He didn't get on the water until sometime around noon. Hopefully he found some bait. It'd be a long weekend otherwise!! I almost went and hunted him down before I left but didn't really want to deal with the rain & wind anymore.
    /Scott