James river anyone.

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by vacatfish, Dec 2, 2009.

1. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Has anyone here ever fished the area of the james river in the buchanan virginia area if so what part was it near the bridge below it or what.

Also how was the fishing.

2. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I've fished above and below. Use to Float religiously, but mainly for smallmouth. Theres is several places to catch cats on the the river around buchannon and we use to do well.. Several areas above and below to set up shop on the bank. As well as up to Springwood and Eagle Rock. Also, dont think the water is to swift down at arcadia for cats to be there.. Mostly your catch will be Channel cats in the 2-6lb range. But i have landed a few citation channel cats. Flatheads are in these stretches aswell. Most average 5-12lbs. Largest i've seen was at 36inches. thats roughly 20lbs. Theres also some musky, walleye and even carp that look like 55 gallon drums..

3. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I will searching the area from the bridge at stop in on down the river i live just below that bridge look over the side of it you will see the roof top.

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I've walked out on the swinging bridge several times and looked around and theres was actually enough 3-5lb smallmouth to actually count. This was before the big kill off over the past 3 years...

Up and down the park area is good for cats. Early morning just at twilight, a slip cork and crawdads or minnows for bait can be alot of fun in the riffles just upstream from the park for cats and smallmouth... Below the bridge theres also alot of areas to fish on the buchannon side down to the Rock Quarry.