James River-A Day with Captain Hugh

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by justlearning, Nov 24, 2007.

1. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    We had a good day the 23rd of Nov with Captain Hugh on the James River.

A cold morning started with a 22 pound blue cat with in a few minutes of dropping the line in the water. The bite would be slow for the remainder of the day as the cold front had moved in with temperatures 30 degrees colder than the day before. An added bonus was a bone chilling wind through out the day that was making it tough to fish. We did manage to catch 16 bluecats although the bite was slow. A 58 , 38, 27, 24, and another 24 pounder were the larger fish, the rest were in the teens . A great day on the river considering the weather.

http://www.jerrywebbonline.com/james/james2/james2.html

Jerry

2. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I believe the weather did you in. What time of day did you catch your two big fish? I will be up there on the 11/27/07 with my sister and her husband. The weather looks to be ok.... low in the low 50's and high in the high 50's... with rain the night before... I plan on running the camera and let them get sore arms... SAME GUIDE

3. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Alan...now I'm going to have to guess....but I would say around 10:AM for the 58 lber and around 4:pM for the 38 lber. We meet Capt Hugh at 5:AM and was on the water by 5:30. We wanted to go with him to catch bait, wanted to see them use the gill net. I'd say we started fishing around 7:AM. We fished all up river never made it down river as far as Hopewell. Good luck on the up coming trip.

Jerry

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That was one fine picture show. Enjoyed it very much. Thanx for sharein and glad ya had a good day.

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks George.....I think some of the pics were even better before I cropped them...but that wouldn't have been fair to the guide to leave a lot of background in the pics. Alan had ask about the time and that's one thing I just thought about, I didn't have the date or time turned on on the camera.

Jerry

6. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Nice pics show glad you guys had a great day I can't wait to get back down there in febuary or march.

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks Jerry....I think we would have had a better day on Saturday....but not bad not bad at all considering the weather and the drastic temperature change.....now if we can do that with out a guide is the trick...lol.....but it's nice to not have to worry about anything but pulling in the cats also...lol. Hopefully with using a guide we will quicken the learning curve and the feel for the James.....and just maybe not make some bad judgement calls while learning the James.

I'll be watching for your post on your next trip....I can never be sure when I can get away from work but I defiantly want to get on the James more often.

Jerry

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It looks like you were pretty worn out by the end of the day, Jerry. I could understand why, after hauling in all those cats!

Ah, nothing like the smell of cigar smoke on the river...:wink:

9. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Tell you the truth.....I was cold all day....I had 2 more sweat shirts in the truck I should have put on.....and we stayed in Chester the night before the fishing trip and was so wired up I didn't get much sleep at all. Yep....I started ask ole Capt. Hugh for one of his cigars.....it's been 20 years or longer since I smoked one. John the guy with me said his arms were still sore this morning....lol....but I don't think he's complaining.

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the kind words & rep...Joel

Jerry

11. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    We (me/my sister and her husband) went out on the 27th. on a guided trip. The temp started out at 64 deg. which was great.... but the bad thing was the wind... 10 to 20 mph all day long. The temp. dropped all day. We could not fish on the main channel for the wind and waves. So we fished in places where the wind wasn't making waves. We got 13 fish, big ones were 32, 36, 42, 42, and a 46 pounder. We fished from Jordon Point down river for about 30 miles. My sister and husband took pictures and video of the trip. I took video of Chris using the gill net. He pulled up in a creek, dropped about 100 ft of net and it was on... I have never seen so many shad. There was one shad about every foot in that net.... He filled up a cooler and let the others go. More info. I can use. We had a good time and my sister and husband caught the biggest fish they have ever caught... Good trip bad weather.

12. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Sounds like a great time..(even with the wind).Now it's my turn for a big fish.Thanks for the report.

13. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Alan.....thanks for another great report. Hope you don't mind me asking a couple questions.....what size boat & motor does Chris have. With that far down river I would guess you fished in the Chickahominy River a good bit. I've been wanting to fish that area ......so much river....so little time....lol.

Congratultions on the successful trip.....and a good thing about the wind...being with the guide gives you a little more knowledge how to handle rough water on the James.

Jerry

14. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Chris has a 25ft Carolina Skiff DLV (not sure about the motor hp 150-200) It was running about 40 mph. A long windy trip back. It runs right across the tops of the waves (dry ride).....

15. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    We stopped just short of the Chickahominy River. I myself would not fish much farther then 75 marker.... plenty of good spots Chris showed me back to Jordon Point.

16. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jerry, glad to hear you can make to the James tommorow, Hightide will be at 7:24 and winds are going to be out of the north at 5 mph. Bad time to try bait at my usual spots so good luck. What size cast net do you throw?