James River 30 September

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Sep 30, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Went out today from 2-7 only got 2 fish again today. I finally got a run today on my Penn 320GT. But like a dummy I had it freel spool with a circle hook with gill hooked above anal fin, the Cat slammed my rod and the clicker screamed :crazy: but by the time I got to the rod and turned off the free spool the fish was gone :embarassed::sad2::angry: but about an hour later I got a 31LBer so I felt better :big_smile::roll_eyes::smile2::wink: weather is cooling off and im just waiting for the consistent big bite from the bank. I dont mind being out for 5-6 hours and only catching 2-3 fish as long as I keep catching Citations, but I want to be able to have one of those 8-10 fish of 20+ days like the boat catfisherman. The crabs have still been eating bait but I have to admit they have not been bad today or yesterday. I just hate hearing the bell ring while you're in a discussion with a fellow fisherman or on the phone talkin to the ol lady and throw the phone down cause you see the rod bend and its a freakin crab :eek:oooh:. anyhow here's a couple pics of the dink and the citation I caught today. The dink was hooked pretty bad behind the eye from a nice 8/0 Team Catfish hook. First two fish caught on Team Catfish double action by the way.

Attached Files:

2. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Couple more pics from today just enjoying the scenery

Attached Files:

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like you're doing great from the bank there. I've never had any luck, just tons of hang ups.
    great fishing
    David

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Let me know whenever you wanna go Dave. The hangups killed me too when I first started, But as long as you have 50-65 lb PP I dont lose many rigs at all anymore. Matter of fact I may have lost 1 the past month out there

5. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I look at hang ups like this: If there is hang up then thats a current break and that is where the fish hang out. If your not breaking off rigs then your missing out on some prime fishing.
    I use 80 lb power pro with 60 lb mono leader and it seems like I come home with at least 2-4 broken rigs but thats part of fishing.
    We have pre-tied rigs individually packaged in 2"x2" zip lock bags and it usually takes no more than 2 minutes to re-rig and have the bait back in the water.
    Keep it close to the cover and don't sweat the break offs cause its gonna happen.
    Mike

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Excellent advice BlueCat69. I pre-tie about 5 leaders before each trip and am lucky to come home with 1.

Ramon - great job out there!

7. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Nice fish Ramon I will be heading down again 9-13 november looks like the big cats are starting to bite with the water cooling.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You got it goin' on, Ramon! Reps out to ya! We are planning a trip up that way in December. Maybe we'll see you there!

Bill in SC

9. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Bill and Jerry let me know when you guys are coming and we'll hook up, anytime hooking up with BOC Brothers is a plus:big_smile:

10. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    them some nice fish bro. yall are blessed to live near the james river.:big_smile: