James River 3-31

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by p_strouth, Mar 14, 2007.

1. p_strouth

p_strouth New Member

State:
    Louisville Tn
    I will b coming up there that weekend anyone have any info on campgrounds, and where I can get bait around hopewell area?
    thanks
    Paul

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    without fail ,you can catch bait in front of the Deep bottom boat ramp. Cast net or gillnet either one will do.
    Deep bottom is about 6 miles from hopewell.
    I have also heard that shad can be caught across the appomattox river from the hopewell boat ramp on the drop off, above the bridge

3. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the tip..are you still catching bait at deep bottom? I have had a hard time catch it lately.. seems they shut off the hot water from the power plant.

Chris in Powhatan.

4. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    chris , I have always been able to catch bait at deep bottom ,Its best at or before first light. I think maybe the streetlight may have something to do with it.If they are not between the no wake markers on the edge of the channel the are to the left or right at the mouth of the creeks.I dont have a gill net but a 7 ' cast net will find them

5. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Bruce... I used to catch shad in the hot water area but there's none to be found lately. I will give that area a shot as soon as the river comes down a bit. Have you had much luck with the river high and muddy?

6. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    High and muddy does not seem to matter, I change bait more often because of the additional water flow. I have had good luck under flood conditions but it really screws up the tide schedule . there does not seem to be much of an incomeing tide ,It just backs up slowly