James River 21 Feb 09 report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    kdrennon7 and myself went out on the James today. We launched and went for bait, we had to set the gill net out a few times before we finally had enough bait for the day.
    We set up on some structure and it wasn't long before we had several 20+ cats in the boat. We was fishing 8-12 foot water on the incoming tide. About 11am the monster hit and the fight was on. Kenny asked me if I needed the net and I told him that I might need it but wasn't sure so he continued to eat his chicken. As the fish got closer and finally started to surface, he said yeah I think you need the net. Well, we got the monster in the boat and got a weight on him. It was my personal best at 62 pounds. What a fish!
    Headed back out tomorrow to hunt for the one that broken our 80 lb test line 2 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Congrats on the catch, Michael! Good report. Thanks.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Congratulations on joining the 60 lb club! That's one heck of a fish!

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congratulations on a great fish. I couldn't have caught one with Dynamite yesterday. Slowwwwwwwwwwww.............

5. TheGrizz18

TheGrizz18 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah thats a nice fish congrats on the catch. We were there yesterday and man it sure was slow for us. Caught plenty of bait and it wasn't hard but we just couldn't get on the fish. I come from Clayton NC and we just dont get to spend enought time out there on the james as I would like. Our best so far is 18lbs lol and that is nothing to compare to all your guys fish. I'm willing to take any tips you guys have to offer lol good luck to everyone and tight lines.

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good catch, the bigger ones are right around the corner. In the next few weeks the monsters will be out eating all those shad and herring.

7. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    nice fish thanks for sharing.

8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Way to go on the PB! Very nice fish. Congrats.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    WELL done! Congrats on a fine fish!!!!!

Bill in SC

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Very nice fish...Congrats on the new PB

11. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
  12. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Thanks guys. I just moved up here in October of last year and only start fishing the James in December with my buddy kdrennon7. I have learned alot about the river and fishing the tides (which I never had to deal with in NC). I hope to top that PB in the next few weeks.
    I know theres one out there that broke off my 80lb test line (couldn't even turn his head) so I want that one.
    Keep on fishin and always CPR.