James River 12/10

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gweber, Dec 11, 2005.

1. gweber

gweber New Member

Got out on the river at 5am from Osbourne, I like the Osbourne ramps and being near a marina with people watching the facility is nice. At 5am it was 20F, wind out of the SW at about 5-7mph, pretty cold. It warmed up a couple hours after sunrise, but it was cold until then. Lots and lots of floating debris from the flooding a couple of weeks ago, some small wood and some GIANT whole trees floating just below the surface. Fished from just upriver of the 295 bridge down to the channel below turkey island.

Caught 10#, 15#, 23#, 25#, 26#, 32# blues and a 15# flathead. All-in-all it was a great day. Caught some good bait, didn't get hit by any big debris, no debris tied up in lines and caught some nice fish.

gweber

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Gweber,

I have got to get up there next year! I have read so many great posts about that fishery, that at times I believe you could run your boat at 30 M.P.H, hold your hand in the water in a U Shape, and lip blues all day ;)

Congrats on a great day catfishing, and welcome to the BOC!

If you took some photos be sure and put them in the gallery loaded under your screen name.

Thanks,
    Paul

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Great report! It looks like the bite is really picking up. Now if I can stop thinking about Stripers I can get up there for a day. :)
    /Scott

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Paul,hate to tell you this dude but you can't lip them at 30 mph!Speed limit on the James is 25mph because of the Mercury advisory.If it was a Chevy advisory then you could go 30 mph,you know how those Mercuries are.In any case when you get home and want to fish the James let me know.You can overnight at my place and I'll take you up and we will fish with a guide.I'll be sure and tell the guide to start you out on smaller fish say 30lbs and under with you being out of practice and all.Wouldn't want you to throw your back out on those 50/60lb fish right away.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim,

Sounds great! I will get in touch with you once I get to the house. I will wear my back brace that day to prevent lower back injury ;)

I appreciate the offer and hospitality!

Thanks,
    Paul

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    atta boy! pick anything up at those spots we talked about?

did you get bait where we talked about too? hopefully cause that's where i'll be getting to get it on tuesday

have any pictures of those dudes?

congrats on a productive day!

7. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Thanks for the report Gweber, sounds like ya got some decent cats. Ill be out there monday hopefully the river wont be so bad down toward Hopewell.

8. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Hey Bluecathunter: we'll be out tomorrow as well. if you see us in a Lowe 16 foot bassboat, make sure you stop us and say HI! I'll have my blue coveralls on if that helps identify us... Hopefully we can all find some big blues!

9. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    I only saw one boat on the river all day and he pulled up next to me this morning (7:00) when i was landing a 56lber. Hope you guys had as good of a day as i did. Landed about twenty cats in the 30-40lb class and three over fifty. I left them biting and out of bait when the tide stopped coming in. The feed bags are on for sure- every cat i caught today was bulging in the belly. Water temps 42-43 and fished waters up to 30ft deep.

10. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    WOW- You obviously were on a different part of the river than us. We were upriver ALL DAY...caught ZERO. didnt see the first boat all day. didnt see a guide or anything...a lot of debris was upriver still but not as much as on Saturday and we went as far down as Deep Bottom and didnt see a soul... the water temp was consistantly at 39-41 degrees all day. We must be doing SOMETHING or EVERYTHING wrong... I dont get it...We fished about every point/drop off we came to as well as every 40-50 foot hole we could find....does anyone have any ideas for us? only places we have caught fish in the past two weeks is Dutch Gap and it wasnt much to write home about...when we try to find new spots on the river we strike out...! i think all in all- with the wind combined with the zero fish, we had a pretty bad day! :cursing:

11. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i'm very surprised man .. where in the world were you fishing?

we couldn't keep fish off our baits just last week up there and willis slayed them

all i can say is don't get discouraged .. it took all of us awhile to figure them out .. after the hard work its all butter

i'll be out there tomorrow if you want a lesson!

12. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Hey Tank,

I fished with Matt today and told him I was feeling a little sick and might have to call work and tell them so. Then we could sneak out and fish with, Tank. It is hard to no get discouraged...but i realize we can't head out and start landing 20 fish a day till we really know what we are looking for. Hopefully it will work out for one of us to go with you sometime and see exactly what we are looking for on the finder. What type of river structures and the lay of the bottom. Just to know what we are looking for would be awesome. We certainly do appreciate all the pointers thus far.

Brandon -- :glare:

13. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Hey John, are you going out this weekend? Saturday perhaps?

14. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i'm going tomorrow and next monday

if you're going to be out there i'd be more than happy to show you what you need to look for

i'd give you gps coordinates but you'll thank me learning the hard way .. i learned tons of new spots just from looking for certain things .. many patterns and structures can be reproduced the whole stretch of the river .. besides alot of the fun comes from finding a new spot on your own and catching a monster there .. complete satisfaction!

seriously hang in there .. took me 5 trips or so plus fishing with guys that knew what to look for before i started catching big fish .. then when you have something to reproduce throughout the river you get consistant

if you are seriously calling off sick tomorrow drop me a pm with your cell phone number and i'll give you mine

15. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Malligood24, im surprised you guys got a zero. It takes time to learn the river for sure hang in there. If you hook up with someone who knows the river and fish with them you will learn what could take years to learn on your own. Start fishing structure anytime of the year. I personally dont fish upriver from dutch Gap and only launch from deep bottom and down river. Not to say there are not big fish upriver but most of the holes that produce for me are down river. I use big baits, fresh bait just caught, big hooks 10/0 owner and no less than 8oz of weight. I would take you guys out on my boat since i usally fish by myself but the wife is due in a few weeks and i might not get out again till the febuary time frame.

16. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Willis- Congratulations on your new addition to the family! My wife and I just had our first baby in July...Now she is 6 months old so im getting more fishing in, but the first 2-3 months, I was out of commission :) are you having a boy or girl?

Thank you both for offering to take us out and show us what we should be looking for. In no way are we going to give up. We have so much fun fishing whether we catch anything or not... i think yesterday would have been a lot more bareable had we not come home and read Willis' post on here about slaying the fish :D but we are happy someone at least was catching them! I think we get a little frustrated moving around so much and looking but not knowing what exactly what to look for... Im hoping for Christmas to get a new Lowrance X-125 fish locator...that might make a world of difference for us as we are using a cheap HumminBird one now that came with the boat but $$$ isnt growing on my trees at home fast enough so i am waiting for the Lowrance one!...Perhaps next time we will put in at Deep Bottom and go farther downriver instead of up... Willis- do you go farther than Presquile or Turkey Island? how much farther down should we have to go from Deep Bottom? are we talking about 10 miles down river? i would imagine there is a ton of spots for us to look for in between....Brandon and I dont mind working to find the spots though...you are right- it will be much more gratifying if we can find us a spot on our own and make it work....in the meantime anything you can tell us to look for to point us in the right direction is most appreciated. We do want to meet up on the river sometime soon. I am toying with going out this Saturday for a half day or so but if not, then it will be after Christmas at this point for me... possibly the 26th....

17. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    OK, I give up! For those of us new to the network, where the heck is the James River and how do I get there from Kansas City?

Thanks

18. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
  19. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    :D You need to start drivin east...way east. Like 1100 miles to the east...

20. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia