James River 10 October

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Went out with my buddy last night and man oh man it was cold lol. We hooked up with a few nice ones biggest being 23LBs and about 8 between that and 2LBs. Caught them all on cut herring, cut shad and the biggest 3 on blue gill heads. I hooked up with a very big cat on a large Gill next to a tree, he got me hung in that tree and broke my Custom built heavy rod :sad2: It was supposed to be indestructable and in many ways it was, I have horsed in fish after fish with that rod but this one got me. He just kept going deeper and deeper in the tree. I had a 10/0 Kahle and 80LB Power Pro on my brand new Penn 309. The clicker screamed I grabbed the rod, turned the clicker off, turned off the free spoil, set the hook and it never stopped him, I couldnt even turn his head, the hook set did nothing he just kept ripping drag and going. :crazy: He got in that tree and I couldnt do anything, my rod bent and kept bending and bending and then snap. My rod broke, he was still on there but he kept pulling till my leader broke :embarassed: I still had my weight, bead and sinker slide. I wanted to cry so bad lol. I know if it hadnt been for that tree I wouldve gotten that fish in. Anyway, put the rod away and rebaited one of my spinning rods with a herring head, casted the opposite direction and not 10 minutes later the bell started ringing I started fighting a cat and my Berkley Big game snapped. Had 50LB Power Pro and a 8/0 Octo Circle on an Okuma spinning reel. The fish just turned his head broke the rod, snapped my line and kept trucking. I have never had bad luck like this. :eek:oooh: Went to sleep my friend said he heard my drag screaming and I caught the 23LB Cat. Not a total bad night but one I never wanna see again. The good news is that the Custom Rod has a lifetime warranty and the guy at Castaways is gonna swap it out tomorrow and I found another MH Big Game rod at a another local baitshop. Sorry for the long post here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice fisf bro. when i get back to north carolina im coming to v.a. and fish the james:big_smile:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great fishing and lousy luck.

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Come on out brother, if ya need a buddy im here

5. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Ken, Im gonna give it about a week and im going back for those fish:wink:

6. guscipi

guscipi New Member

State:
    va
    I had some bad luck like that today, went out of DB could not find bait so I was stuck using frozen shad. Had one hard take down peeled drag than just got stuck on a log or something I was in 30' of water. Next hole had the fish on for a few seconds than just came off. Nice day to be out on the water though.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC Gus

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm planning on hitting Dutch Gap soon with some big bait. I hope to land something. Nice fishing too bad about the rods.

9. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I was on my buddies boat. Let me know when you're going out Dave

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Welcome aboard Goose! Good to see some familiar faces from the other place over here.