James River 03/17/07

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by hillbeach, Mar 18, 2007.

1. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Launched at Osborne Landing first light. Looking for bait in the creek caught only little shad, when mike in the pontoon boat stoped by heading for a fishing spot and shared some bait. Great guy to help out with some bait. Started hitting spots using fish finder for marks. The fish were picking up the bait most of the morning but not loading up on the rod. We were fishing for big fish with nice size chunks of cut bait and #8 cicle hooks. Oh well with the rain friday and the drop in temps thought they would have top warm up first. Found a sunken barge and set up and with in 10 min. fish on ...he ran the line into the barge , we could feel him but we could not work him out. BROKE OFF. Headed up river and tried numerous spots but all pick-upos and drops must have been small fish. Went back by the barge with an in comming tide and set up on the out side. 15 MIN. Fish on and he ran around some thing. I was able to work the boat around the snag and when I did I almost lost my co-worker when the fish took off. Boy it was fun watching him hold onto his first blue cat... needless to say he lost it. The wind started blowing in the afternoon and we only got one in the boat 10 lbs. Nice first trip up there with my boat besides the cold,flood tide and wind. We will be back for the battle...

hillbeach

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Patrick ,glad you were able to make the trip on sat.We had some things to take care of on Sat and a B-day party for my mothers 80 th.on Sun.
    Dont be so hard on those small shad, we call them "catfish candy". We cut off the tails scuff them up a bit and hook them thru the eyes and fish them whole. Sorry you had so much trouble with the fish breaking off in the barge. I have found it really effective on that type of structure to set up back a bit and dont try to fish too deep into the structure. The big fish will follow the bait stream back to its location and that keeps the hang ups and break offs to a minimum, Which barge were you fishing? I was doing some internet prospecting and found a map showing the location of a confederate ship sunk in the main channel. I am going to try that next tpip . The survey notes indicate an exact position and depth. they also say that one side of the ship is still exposed to the current. there should be a monster lurking there.

3. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice. The barge we fished is just up from osborne almost in the middle. We fished both sides of it will try to back off. Madtom has caught a 57 and 54 off of it. He released both fish back into it. I am looking for a good map so I can start checking out spots and marking them. Looked like the boats saturday had a route they took for the tide and water conditions. Plus have to readjust my rod holders to a higher angle. Have the welders at work making a new rig for the back of my bass boat.

Hillbeach

4. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Patrick, be sure to assign a job # and fill out the proper labor codes on that VICP(very important catfish project).