James Report 26 May 09

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluecat69, May 26, 2009.

1. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

Tupelo, MS
    A fishing buddy and me went out on the James today. We decided to fish a different area this time so we made the long run down to Sturgeon Point. Bait was a killer but we finally caught one good cutter. On one pull of the gill net we had 5 big gar and a huge carp. The little cats were abundant also (what a pain gettin them out of the net).
    We fished the incoming tide in about 60-70 feet of water.
    The first take down was a FAT 65 lber that put up one heck of a fight. We took a few pics then released. Then about ten minutes later I was fighting a fish and my buddy had the net ready. As soon as the fish got close to the boat another rod took a hard dive and started peeling drag.
    I landed my fish and then landed his. We had a 38 and a 35 in boat at the same time. Tooks some pics and released to fight another day.
    All this excitement on one 12 inch shad. I will post pics when my buddy down loads from his camera.
    I did learn one thing today: If you going to Sturgeon Point, catch bait before making that long run south.
  2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

Spring Run, PA
    Sounds like you made good use out of that cutter! :smile2: Congrats on the Cats.