James next week!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by slammer123, Sep 12, 2009.

1. slammer123

slammer123 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey guys! Im new to the forum and would like to say first that its a lot of good info here! Keep it up!!!!
    Anyway im heading to the Tidal James prolly next thursday to fish for cats! I have fished it some and caught some good cats I just havent been down in about 3 years!! LOL!! Been keeping my boat docked at Smith Mountain lake. Anyway, 2 questions? This time of year should I be fishing above Jordan point or below? I usually put in at deep bottom or dutch. I know the river fairly well in both directions just wondering which way has been better lately since I havent been down in so long! Also I NEVER keep any big fish and rarely even keep a small one! lol!
    Whats the best place to buy some eels and maybe even some fresh shad! Ive bought shad at fin and skin before but they dont always have them. Anyone know a reliable source for some big fresh gizzards and big eels?? I do cast net for my own shad but sometimes you can come up empty down there and I want to make sure I have good bait!! Driving down 2 hours from Staunton so I dont want to waste a trip and have no bait!! LOL!!
    Any ideas would be great!
    Thanks!!!

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Since you are coming in on 64, I would take the 295 east by pass. 4-5 miles later take Route 1 north exit. Go north a mile or so , a little past a big mall and you will see Green Top sporting goods on the left. Go in with lots of dough and come out with more cool stuff then you know what to do with. Oh yeah, they sell all sorts of frozen and live bait including eels.

When you are done shopping, turn rt out of the parking lot and go back south on Route one to you come back to 295. Take 295 east all the way to your Rt 5 east exit for Deep Bottom or Hopewell. If you are fishing two days, why don't you fish known waters one day around Deep Bottom and then go exploring downstream from Hopewell the second day

Good luck

3. slammer123

slammer123 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Yea ive been to greentop and most fo the bait shops around,just havent been in a couple years! Thanks!

4. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Welcome to the boc mark. You will love it here lots of good people and great info.

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Slammer, good to see ya! Good luck down on the James, I havent been since Nov '07. Greentop is good, lots of what ever you need, kinda like a mini Bass Pro, but just mostly caters to that area and Saltwater......

6. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Slammer, welcome to the best Cattin site on the web!!!!

Good luck on the James and don't forget to let us know how it goes:wink: