James April 9 Catfish, Stripers, and Shad

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This was my last String Trip. I am going to Argentina on Sunday and won't be back until May sometime. When I get back, the cats will be spawning so no bite there and the Stripers and shad will have left also. I will then focus on Giant Black Drum 90 pounds or so and 50 plus pound Channel Bass in the Chesapeake Bay.

Thursday I took David Lowenhagen and his son Johnathan fishing on the James. David had purchased a fishing trip for two on the James that I donated to Ducks Unlimited's Richmond Chapter..

I didn't want to waste their time with bait gathering so on Wednesday I launched at 4 PM at Ancarrow Ramp in downtown Richmond. I set the gill net and had plenty of Hickories in a few minutes for todays trip. It was so pretty that stayed and fished until dark. Shad very slow on rod and reel, catfish were slow, only three juniors up by the 95 bridge. Did not catch any stripers but saw loads rolling around at dusk. I left at dark around 8:30.

The following day, Thursday morning, we pulled away from the ramp at 7:00 am and had a citation 36 pound bluecat by 7:45 reeled in by Johnathan, a new PB. His dad then got a 36 in a different hole, PB for him also. We caught a few juniors and then Johnathan catches a 20 pound 35 inch fattie striper. His father catches it's twin 30 minutes later 1/2 mile downstream. PB stripers for both father and son. We caught a few more eater cats and switched to shad. Should have stuck with the cats. While some were catching, we had marginal luck at best. Water was 53 this morning up from 50 having been 60 earlier in the month. Plenty of shad in the river , the water just needs to be a little warmer. We lift a little before 4:00 PM. The ramp was pretty busy today.

My two brothers are coming over this afternoon to get the boat and go downtown. I am itching to go also but probably will just hang around the house doing last minute chores before I go away,,,,,But I might go!

Attached Files:

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    here are pictures of his son with the ones he caught and a picture of the ramp. Busy but at least orderly.

Attached Files:

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Sounds like a pretty good trip, and looks like alot of fun, thanks for sharing, good luck in 2009 and good fishin'.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's always good to see people having fun catching fish, also great on the personal best.
    later
    david