James A Reed

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by goldentilapia, Oct 9, 2007.

1. goldentilapia

goldentilapia New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I visited James A Reed this week. I'm visiting from Hawaii and I normally fish for saltwater inshore gamefish. Could someone share which of the James A Reed Lakes they would concentrate on? I have two more weeks in Missouri and my goal is to catch a Missouri catfish before I go. I got tired of pulling in carp at Longview. Thank you for the input. Blessings, Keith.:eek:oooh:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    All of the lakes there have channel catfish in them. What are you using for bait? I'd get a jar of stink bait of some sort - Bee-Jay, Sonny's Wicked Sticky, etc. and just try a few likely looking spots. Shouldn't take long to come up with a fish or two...

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    If you follow the crowd you will know which lake is hot at the time. All the locals that fish there know where to go. Stink bait, worms , and livers are baits I would be sure and take. Also you might be able to figure out what everyone else is using. The catfish in there will have a go to bait. Good luck and let us know how you do.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The best results I've seen have been at Catclaw Lake, using fresh shad for bait. I've also seen shrimp produce results. I'm guessing fresh shad will be hard for you to come by... don't buy the kind you get frozen in a jar. You also might try catching a sunfish and cutting it up for bait as a substitute for shad.

I've also seen a good cat (16lbs) come out of Coot Lake once, but Catclaw has been a lot more consistent.

I haven't fished James A Reed as much in recent years, but I did get out there a few months back and caught a couple of decent channel cats (5lbs or so) at Catclaw.

Longview has been a pretty poor for catfish as long as I can remember. There has been a program to boost the flathead size and population, but I haven't heard of any results.

5. goldentilapia

goldentilapia New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    Thank you for the input. I cannot keep the sunfish from tearing up the nightcrawlers I have been using. I met a few local fisherman at one of the smaller lakes, they were using cut up bluegills on at least 20lb+ test line and surfcasting rods. I sure bought light weight equipment, but I'll give Catclaw a try. Blessings to all!

Keith

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Your equipment should be just fine -- there's nothing in any lake out there worthy of 20 lb line and a giant rod... :roll_eyes:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Marty obviously hasn't been turtle fishing out there :smile2: