jacomo

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by benzolene, Apr 25, 2008.

1. benzolene

benzolene New Member

State:
    missouri
    anyone having any luck at jacomo...been fishing it for years. my father and grandfather have fished it...all with good success and a handful of large fish...

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    The fish are in Jacomo. You just have to find them. Been a couple of blues weighing 30# caught that I know of this year. It holds the Mo. state record for channel cat. I fish it quiet often because it is close.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Are you doing this from the bank of the river?

4. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Jacomo is a lake Kevin. The 2 30#s were caught from a boat. Both caught the same day by the same guy.

5. myname6

myname6 New Member

State:
    MO
    I have never fished Jacomo but I am not far can you rent boats ther and where do you start at

6. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    You can rent boats at the north marina. Not sure of cost. Lots of coves to fish and points to fish off. It is a good lake for bank fishing. Pick up a map and look at it. A lot of trails running from the shelter houses also going down to the lake. Caught a 6 1/2# last week. Biggest for me from there this year. But it is close to home.

7. MossCatcher

MossCatcher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Going to try my luck at either jacomo or blue springs saturday night. Anyone got any suggestions on location to fish at on either lake for catfish?

8. armyranger101st

armyranger101st New Member

State:
    missouri
    i fish jacomo most of my life im 28 just got home back from iraq havent fished jacomo past yr went out last weekend caught 3 1 weigh bout 2lb 2 were around 1lbs and the last one i caught at 4 am was 15lbs channel caught on bloodbait.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the fishing report, glad you're home from Iraq and thanks for your service to the country!

10. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

VERY HAPPY to hear you're back home...We appreciate what you and so many others have done in service...I have a Grandson over there now...

11. Honor the Fish

Honor the Fish New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have fished Jacomo the past few days with no luck. I fished up by the "point" on the southend of the southern docks. All I got was a few small bullheads. I also fished the non-powered boat launching point just north of the southside Marina. A few nibbles but no fish. I tried the handicap area and got skunked there. Where are the fish? :embarassed:

12. swamperjmb

swamperjmb New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm heading out to Jacomo tomorrow. Hope I catch something even if its a bullhead. Its been pretty dull around here with all the high rivers. I tried to fish the Mighty MO today with no luck, its way to turbulent for me. Can't wait till it slows down and gets back to normal.

13. bluejay

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason. I fish Jacomo quiet a bit myself. Let me know how you do.

14. benzolene

benzolene New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have fished jacomo solid for about the last 3 weeks with great success...Jacomo cats this time of year seem to perfer cut bluegill or sunfish...of course they all like live also...not much luck on shad though...i had a night last week at about 2 am that was a night to remember....16 cats over 30 inches in less than an hour!!!!it was difficult to keep 3 poles in the water and a challenge to keep 2 in...My grandfather used to fish shelter 11 and he had great success there...i havent fished it this year cause i am too afraid to leave my honey hole till it dies off...the best place i have found for LARGE cats is the cliffs area by the spillway leading to blue springs lake....this area host DEEP water with a sharp incline to the bank...i have seen giant blues chasing bait into the weeds and a bobber with cut bait is hit so hard it sounds like you just dropped a 2 lb brick from 6 inches above the water.... I have snagged into a couple of cats that in the deeper water before the sun goes down that just tore my gear up...one spun 250 ft of 25 lb test right off my pole...he just wouldnt stop...SECRET HONEY HOLE INFO at the cliffs park by the admin building walk all the way down to the water and head right...there are some stairs that lead you down to a small dock at the water front...if i come out and youre there you must share the spot with me:crazy: lol...i usually tie the dock up so it doesnt move(usually calm at night) and fish right off of it...there is a hole to the right of(45 degrees) it that produces nice daytime fish... directly out as far as you can cast is where i have lost 2 large monsters that ruined my gear during the late afternoon DEEP...

I have seen and caught large cats rolling in shallow water in many of the coves in jacomo...it is an old lake and host some of the largest lake cats within an hour of here...the trick on jacomo is versatility...fish 3 poles one live one cut one shallow one deep one bobber find what they are eating that night and fish the heck out of it till it dies off then go back to the experimenting poles...it seems they come in waves where ever i fish at out there...every 2 hours or so...so be versatile fish deep in the late afternoons and shallow at night try different FRESH baits and your outing at jacomo should be a successful one...ps nasty sticking half dead night crawlers have produced well if you can keep them on your hook...panty hose method...

15. benzolene

benzolene New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you are catching bullhead they make the ideal flathead bait in jacomo waters...just hook them behind dorsal or if small in upper lip, cut off tail or render it useless so they cant just hide and cast that sucker out near THE CLIFFS. the flatties love this area as there are larger over hanging rocks and boulders in that area....:wink:

16. boost3782

boost3782 New Member

State:
    USA
    benzolene-

Thanks for the info! I am curious though as I am not very fam. with Jacomo. Are you talking about coming off woods chapel rd. and going to the "Parks and Recreation Admin Offices by the balloon port? If so what parking lot do you use? Or you talking about the admin annex building a little more SW of that admin building? I want to hit that spot up on sunday and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the info!

Kyle:big_smile:

17. benzolene

benzolene New Member

State:
    missouri
    take woods chapel to the stop light and go east. take first right. coming from 40 highway it will be your first light, take left. park in lot that is straight in front of you, walk all the way down to water....take a right and find staiars...enjoy....i will probably see you as i will be at jacomo sunday....

18. moodster

moodster New Member

State:
    mo,
    Welcome Home" thanks for your service Troy. everyday is vetrens day in my mind.

19. boost3782

boost3782 New Member

State:
    USA
    As an ex US Army infantry man I say thanks for your service also. Lead the way.

Thanks again for the Jacomo spot. Im hitting it up tonight, I can't wait lol.

Kyle