jacomo channel catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jacomo, May 22, 2009.

1. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like I said in my first post I have fished all my life and catfished for the last 15 or so years. But never used anything other than liver till now. Went out last evening and tossed the net around the dock with no luck. So I broke out the ultralite and got 3 bluegills in minutes one big and two about 4". Headed off to my favorite spot and fished a 4" live on the bottom and cut up the biggest gill. No bites but after about 1 1/2hrs the pole with the live gill slammed over and wasnt coming back up! I grabbed it set the hook and start reeling and pop, 20lb test snapped like thread! I reeled the broken line in and pulled on it, bit it and pulled on it and couldnt get it to break myself. Good times! Anyways I left at 10PM, got work for a living:angry:, but did land one that scaled just under 6.5#s just before I left about 9:45. That was my first one on fresh cut bait and first hit on a live bluegill, I'm hooked:big_smile:

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dang Jake to bad you didnt get it in. Or at least get to see it. Just keep it up get heaver line and get him in next time.

Tom

3. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I heard that there is a small population of flatheads in Jacomo.
    The MDC has shocked up a few big ones in the past.

4. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Your to kind leaving that fish for me to catch <lol>:eek:oooh: Being serious, thats a bummer you didn't get him in. Still, I bet it was a ton of a fun while it lasted. Now, that your catching and giving yourself more bait options the bigger ones are certainly going to be coming you way more often:big_smile:

5. jacomo

jacomo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well went out Friday night from 7 to 1:30am with a buddy. Fished one each fresh cut gill, live gill and chicken guts. Got one bullhead and acouple of little bites and thats it. Going out again tonight with the N-laws

6. kurtk

kurtk New Member

State:
    Independence
    We've been out a few times this year and haven't had much luck. Only thing worth talking about was a 6lb channel. Last year it seemed like we tore it up every time we went out there. Oh well, you know what they say... a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. We were fishing a cove just west of the sailboat cove, but the cats seem to have left it. Where are they hitting at now? Last year we used chicken livers exclusively, and that's all we ever needed cuz they took to it like candy. This year not so much. I've tried stink bait, livers, and nightcrawlers and haven't had much of any luck at all.