Jackson County lakes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fishy G, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Fishy G

Fishy G New Member

State:
    Raytown, Missouri
    I was wondering if anyone drops a line in any of Jackson County Lakes. I'm am a new member and a long time cat catcher.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I've tried most of them without much luck -- or at least, without enough luck to bring me back.

Jacomo has a good population of channel cats but a 25-hp limit for boats. And there's so much moss around the edges that you are hard pressed to find somewhere to fish from the shore.

Blue Springs Lake has good sized channel cats as well. I've not spent a lot of time fishing there, but it's a great lake for catching shad.

Longview Lake is apparently overrun with tiny channel cats. Never fished for cats there so can't say for sure.

You can get a few channel cats from the ponds at James A. Reed Wildlife Area, but moss is a problem at most of those lakes also.

Once I learned how to fish the Missouri River, I never looked back...

BTW - Welcome to the board! You'll enjoy it here.

3. Fishy G

Fishy G New Member

State:
    Raytown, Missouri
    Thanks buddy. I do fish jacomo a lot. last year I caught a handful over 20 pounds. I am interested in River fishing but I have a pontoon with a 25 horse not exactly river material.
    thanks again
    g

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're already catching 20+ #ers out of Jacomo, you're doing waaaay better than I ever have at Jacomo.

For me, Jacomo is almost a bad word. Though I will admit I do find myself fishing there occasionally -- it's kind of like being on a bad losing streak and chasing bad money with good on the off chance that it'll turn around for me. :beat_brick:

5. Fishy G

Fishy G New Member

State:
    Raytown, Missouri
    they are few and far between but jacomo is close to home and the dock space are reasonable $. I have two little ones at home so momma doesn't want me venturing out to far from the nest.

6. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri

I'm with ya there Fishy! Cubedweller is actually my cousin and we have fished Jacomo several times with little to show for it. James A. Reed has produced more catfish for me than any other Jackson Cty lake. The moss this year is worse than I have ever seen there for some reason. I'd say if you are catching 20#'ers then I need to learn your secret :wink::wink:

Welcome to the BOC!

7. crashawk

crashawk New Member

State:
    missouri
    have any of you tried lone jack lake? I've seen some nice cats come out of there, caught some smaller ones there myself. but I really want to catch one I see play out in the middle every year, his head is about 16 inches wide. this is the first year in about 4 I haven't seen him yet, even my wife has seen him. they only allow electric motors but there is plenty of good shore fishing if you don't want to drag the boat out. (or holler at me and I'll meet you out there with mine).

Jason

8. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Yep, I've spent several hours of (mostly) futile effort at Lone Jack lake. Nice population of snakes though, at least on the dam. Then again, I've never fished from a watercraft in that water, might make a big difference to get out in the standing timber.

I've also seen people running limblines like crazy in that water (like more than a dozen at a time) which I think has a negative impact on the population in that small impoundment. Being remote, I've also never seen any MDC representatives there, either.

9. crashawk

crashawk New Member

State:
    missouri
    you must go over there on the wrong saturday :embarassed: I allmost allways see a game warden when I go out there. that limb line thing ain't right, says right in the book you can't do that there, but do people pay attention? about a week and a half ago my brother and I saw two young men wadeing out from shore on the east side of the bridge on blue spring lake. they was running a trot line in the shallows on foot. looked like they knew they wasn't supposed to do it either, they kept looking at everyone that went by like they wish our boat would catch fire or something. I tried to get my brother to boat over there and ask them if they knew what they was doing was wrong but he wouldn't do it. we told the manager at the marina but I don't think they did anything. :angry:

Jason
    pills11.com ;))

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I usually night fish out @ Lone Jack Lake, so maybe that's why I don't see any officials present. A couple of times during the late fall/early winter, I was the only person there for hours. Kinda nice like that.

11. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    I have also spent many of hours at L.J. lake. Has great cover and have caught a few 2-3# channels out of there. My problem is I want to catch that 20#'er so bad I have left the simplicity of fishing for pan-sized catfish behind. I may need to go back to the roots to build the confidence back :lol:

Take care!