Jacked on the Saluda

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by garrick, May 3, 2008.

1. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    I tried our regular spot on the Saluda, and there twasn't a single bite. We moved upriver some, and I got the biggest channel cat I've ever had before I even set the pole down on my first cast.
    I got him right up by the rock I was standing on, but my pole was bent double and I feared my 12lb test was about to give. I leaned down to get him, got my hand on the leader, he looked me in the eye. . .and one of my poorly-tied knots came loose right above the hook. As best as I could estimate, he was 10-12 pounds. I know for most others that's nothing. For me, that'd have been really good. My best so far is 8lbs.
    I tried and tried to see if he had any buddies, but no luck, unless gar and and schools of piranha-like, bait stealing tiny bluegill are his friends. I even sacrificed a few of those, but only the gar were into 'em.

Tomorrow. . .

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    sorry to hear that, i bet next time you'll be a little more wary of those knots. you live, you learn.

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'll tell ya. A 10 to 20 lb Channel is a none stop, never say die, bulldozing beast!:big_smile:. I know ya had to enjoy that fight. Anyway nice story and thanks for sharing:wink:.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Even the best of the best loose fish sometimes so don't feel to bad about that.

5. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm definitely lacking experience, and I'm chalking it up to, "Hey, now I'll make sure my knots are good!" instead of being in a rush.
    I was pumped up on that fish, though. It felt like I had a submarine or something. Then. . .I was fully deflated haha.
    He'll be okay, though, right? Do they work hooks out? I'd feel terrible if he couldn't eat again, even though my intent was to eat him haha.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    He should be OK. The hook should be gone I think in about 4 or 5 days.:wink:

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its also a good idea to have a net handy if possible. You stand a better chance of keeping them on the line in the water than when you try to bring them out. The weight in the water is lighter than once you've broke the surface.

8. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Learn the Palomar knot...its one that can be tied quickly and its very strong.
    The Snell knot is also another knot you cant go wrong with.

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Garrick,
    I lost plenty of fish early on by knot properly tying knots or letting less experienced partners tie my tackle. Since swithching to the palomar knot, I have lost very few knot related fish. Works real well with large lines too. I sent you a link to a "how to" Dont forget to consider the strength of your hooks when also. I lost some big fish early on as well because I was using large bass type hooks.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

10. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    Well, I did it again haha.
    I was getting bait the following morning with a tiny little light action rod I found in a trashcan. On it is a "durango" reel I got at Walmart for like $3. It's loaded with light, knappy, scuffed line.
    I was using a half of a redworm on a tiny little wire hook to get some small sunfish for bait.
    It turns out a channel cat of 4-5 pounds was in the mood for a little bit of redworm. Like Riverrat said- he weighed more when I picked him up out of the water. Snap when the line right there. :smile2:
    I wan't so miffed because I wasn't even "fishing" yet- just surprised he wanted that bit of worm.
    Still, a net will be purchased soon!
    Also, I'll get on the palomar knot.

Thanks ya'll!