JACK POT

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by armyfisher, Sep 9, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well to start off this weekend was great. we were on the cats all night long. landed a total of 21 in 5 hours, bigggest one was approx 15 pound channel cat on beef liver. it took a little over a half hour to bring him in, he got wrapped up in a stump and got stubborn as all hell, so needless to say i had to jump in the water and un-wrap him while my buddy was reeling him in. i'll tell ya what to sitting in 8 feet of water at 2 in the morning on a small less than 1 acre pond has a definate scare factor. i ran into a cat in the same place that wanted to take my hand off.(probally cause my hand had been marrinating in chicken liver juice for a couple of hours) my buddy wound up fighting him for over an hour before his pole broke and leader stripped out. I'll have pictures on here when i get off work. A question for anyone who wants to answer, for braided line what is the best or strongest knot to use when tying hooks. i've always used 3 clinch knots and just regular shoe tying knots which holds up pretty good until i come by a fish thats usually over 20 lbs. any suggestions please let me know. well brothers thanks and get out there and catch them cats.:cool2:

2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey David,
    sounds like you had a adventure with that fish congrats,,, the best knot for braid and any other line as well is the Palamar knot.. easy to tie and has great holding power..
    Puddle..:wink:
    Here is a great site for knots,,, http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/fishing/knots.htm#palomar

3. AirForced->1

AirForced->1 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive personally never tried the palormar, but ive never heard bad about it, ive always used the 10 turn improved clinch which has held up for me, even though ive never caught a huge catfish I have however pulled a monster striper on it with no problem at all.

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Insurance...1 drop of super glue on knot. :wink:

5. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yeahrightsure.....Do it the EASY way! Ain't nothin' like pulling in the fish of a lifetime and the knot lets go. That way, you can practice your cursin'. :tounge_out:

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Matt, First and foremost you need to tie a good knot, like a palomar, THEN, add a little drop of super glue for added insurance. 10-4 brother? :wink:

7. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    well i'm taking all the advice i can get. i made up some leaders from power pro braided line, 3 50lbs. braided up with the polomar knot and the improved clinch knot with a dob of super glue, hopfully they will hold up. i talked to a buddy of mine whos a game warden here on fort gordon where i hit the jack pot, appartently the pond i'm fishing is holding some big ol channels that have been there for quit a few years. from what he was saying no one has been able to catch them hence breaking lines, leader, and poles. So again to all thank you for your advice and i will let ya'll know sunday how the fish are biting.:cool2:

Attached Files:

8. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    10-4 Dawghead.....I WAS kidding, ya know? :tounge_out:

9. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Nice mess of cats you have there army. The #1 knot rule is in all cases if you can't tie a knot tie a lot.:wink:

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Army,

Welcome to the BOC from So. Alabama ,nice catch there and thanks for ssharing the Pic's , and the best knot for braid would be a doubble Palomar knot

hope this helps

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    polamar knot would be the best knot for braided line......although I beleive it would be best to not use braided line for a leader material....the leader takes a lot of abrasion form the cats teeth, or from underwater structure. A heavy mono would be good......just tie your main line to a strong swivel, then tie a leader with mono. This will also keep your line from twisting up, which will also make your line weak. you know those big blue's n channels like to roll when you get em up top......

12. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    thank you everyone for your valuable insight, i have started to rig up my rods with the polamar knots and have put them to the test and passed so thank you all. as far as the leaders go, i used to use mono for striped bass fishing fluke flounder and eel fishing but whenever it came to catfishing i would have no luck. so i have tried the braided leaders and they seem to work better with all the rocks n stumps n the cats mouth. normally what i will do is have a rod set up like this 40lbs braided line on the reel a good 1oz egg sinker above a heavy duty swivel, heres the fun part, take 3 pieces of 80lbs braided line and braid um together to make one strong leader, and the hook all that up on the hook, i've started to stay away from fast clips i've never really had any good luck with them most of um strip out even super glued shut, but with all the valuable knowledge and experience that ya'll have given to me i've made one hell a leader and rig. so hopfully the fish bite saturday and there will be some whopper pics on here to see. heck were gonna have 4 people fishing a less than acre pond for 12 hours. Again thank you all for your imput and suggestions.:cool2:

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    well it's all about what works for you. and yeah I would stay far away from them snap swivels....I don't care what pound test they're rated for.

14. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Nice cats! I have also been surprised at how big they get in small ponds!

I always use a leader that is weaker than my main-line. That way if I get snagged, I normally just lose the leader and the hook instead of loosing a hook, leader, swivel, bead, weight and part of the main-line. Of course I fish in lake lanier which is full of submerged timber so you prob won't have a problem in a pond.

I also learned about the importance of tying a good knot this spring when it cost me several nice stripers and some cats!

Good luck, hope you catch some monsters!