Jack Plates

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RiverKing, Jul 25, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    What exactly are Jack Plates, and exactly what purpose do they serve? Are they suposed to give you more speed or get on plain faster? Just wanting some info on them. Thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jack plates are designed to make it so you can raise or lower your engine without the hassle of removing the moter mount bolts.
    They can get you a little more speed because you can play with it to set it where the motor is skimming the water and creating less drag.
    I opt to useing a tilt and trim and setting my motor heigth manuely myself.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

How much more speed are we talking Bubbakat?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Matt describe to me the set up you have now and the prop size where the cavation plate is in relation to the keel How many rpm's are you turning

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jackplates are generally a bassboat and flats boat item.For a good powered jackplate you are going to pay a lot, 600-1000$ and you MIGHT get another 1-2 mphs out of your boat.That is IF you then change your prop etc etc.JPs usually lift an engine so the prop is penetrating the surface allowing it to rev faster again if you buy a prop designed to operate that way.If you simply have to have the very last mph out of your boat and a pocketful of money then a JP might be just what the doctor ordered.:big_smile::smile2:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They are popular among the skinny water fishermen especially fishing on the flats in Florida.
    Install them on a tunnel hull skiff and once the boat reaches speed where the tunnel is doing what it does (raise the water column) they can raise the motor.

You can screw up a motor real quick with one if you arent conscious and attentive.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Willard, its a 1989 17 foot deep V tracker with a 110 VRO 4 cylinder Johnson...As far as the prop size goes, i will have to do some research because I just bought the boat last week. I have only had it out once,I had up to about 38 MPH (not sure if i had it trimmed out right, never had power trim on a boat), and if I remember i think it was running 1000 rpm, but im not 100% sure.. I will have it out again on saturday and i can monitor the RPM's better. It runs like a scalded dog though, I can tell you that.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    First thing I would do is check the data plate and see if its rated for 110hp.If you are doing 38 mph now you might get 40mph with a jackplate but I wouldnt count on it because JPs work best with a tunnel hull or relatively flat bottomed boats like a bassboat.One wouldnt be worth the extra cost from my perspective AND you might just burn the motor up as Bubba points out by raising it above the water pickup.Usually the Bass crowd invest in a low water pickup type lower unit which is more money.Good luck:smile2::big_smile:

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah doesnt sound like they are worth it for me, I didnt realize they were that pricey, and would only give you 2 mph more...I think i can get more out of the motor with it trimmed just right

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Deep V boats weren't built for speed they were built for stability. With the 110 I think maybe without seeing your set up you most likely are at you peak or real close to it