Jack plate

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Sep 8, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used a trolling motor for my new jon boat this summer (my first boat), but I am considering buying an outboard before next spring. So I've been looking around at some motors and accessories and saw these jack plates. This may be a stupid question for most... but what exactly does a jack plate do? I mean other then mounting your motor to it. Obviously people use these instead of mounting directly to the transom... I am just wondering why? Thanks for the help.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They are used to lift the moter higher on the transome so the drag will decrease and you can get a little more speed. Mostly used on boats with a pad. Big motors and bass boats. \If you want to make you one for a flat bottom go into the library, Bob paul has a good article in there on making a jack plate.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. So, if I were to put about a 10 hp motor on a 14 ft. jon boat I wouldn't need one right?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is correct. No need for it unless you had happened upon a motor with a real long shaft.

5. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not only does it get more of the drive up out of the water for less drag, it also puts the drive a little bit farther back away from the stern of the boat. When water comes out from underneath the hull, it has a certain amount of turbulance in it...in others words...it's not "clean" water. The jack plate puts the motor and drive up and farther to the rear of the boat. This "cleaner" water makes it easier for the prop to get a grip and make more thrust.

6. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    As Bubbakat said most are used on boats that have a pad hull. While a jackplate will increase speeds on most boats, a pad hull will see the most increase. I like them for the ability to raise the motor straight up and run shallower water.