Jack Plate

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by rks1949, Oct 3, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One of the best mods I've added to my boat is a jack plate. It really helps running when the water is "skinny/low"!:wink: The boat also get's on plane faster,and you can really "crawl" around in the shallows,to get at the brush piles/stumps. I can run in about 1 ft. of water easy,but you still have to watch out for big rocks,stumps,ect. With the plate "jacked" up,and the motor trimmed all the way down,I have about 6 inches of the skeg/prop below the boat bottom. It has made the diffrence between going fishing,or staying off the river this year. Ron

Attached Files:

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post..... Looks good on the boat...
    I've been thinking of making one for my boat.... so its on the list .... got some plan ideas.... comming soon???

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I put one on my alumacraft 1860SC with a 90 etec.I like it alot as well , not much difference in performance but helps in skinny water.The one dislike is when raised up all the way it does not want to steer at speed.After a while you learn to trim it down and throttle it back before a turn then opening it back up on exit.I was thinking it would have a 3-4 mph gain with it but no change still 38-40 mph with or without it.I was trying to get a drier ride when I installed it trying to get the front end a little lighter, after I moved the trolling motor battery to the rear then if helped.All in all I like it though especialy on barkley lake after winter draw down.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It looks like you have power tilt. Is the plate a lot better than just tilting the motor up? Is the plate hydralic too?

5. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
  6. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Ron is that a CMC jackplate?
    I’ve been looking at the CMC Tilt-n-Trims for my boat, to make it easier putting in at the ramp and getting in some of the shallows. CMC http://www.cook-mfg.net/ has several models, a hydraulic Jack Plate model PL-65 and Tilt-Trim units model PT-130 for motors up to 130 hp and model PT-35 for motors 35 hp and smaller. Bass Pro and Cabelas have them and Bass Pro has some revues that all look positive. About everyone I’ve spoke to have only had good comments about them. I’ve seen them a couple times in craigslist, for $300.00 plus, but I haven’t been fast enough to get there first. :sad2:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1137_225011002_225000000_225011000_CROSSSELL_SEARCH?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

7. Ron - That is a great mod and report for a sweet a** boat buddy, thanks.

David - My brother had one of those CMC Tilt/Trim jobbies and it worked great. I highly recommend it, and plan on buying a used one next year for my boat. I think they are actually better than the stock tilt trim. And it kinda acts like a jack plate because it lifts the motor up a few inches and back about 5 or 6 " at full down postion, so the motor still gets a good bite, but can run shallow.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Again.... I have tilt with my Honda motor... but I would like to do the trim thing to keep the same motor angle... but raise it up some.... my racing buddy... (metally racing buddy) has all kinds of stuff on his "gofast pussie" boat... and when he dials up the motor ....not much is in the water... but then again ....more worried bout catching air....

I'm still looking... the original post and pic looks the best.. but I need a power lift.... I have heard stories about a "lift thing" and when the motor was moved back... it mess with the geometry of the boat... so I was told..... I just want to power up some and raise the motor up for shallow running....

tight lines... bayrunner ray

9. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks John, I hope to have one mounted up by next spring and be ready to run the MO, high or dry.:wink:

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Ive got the CMC tiltntrim on my boat an love it, I got it used and did have to buy a new pump for it after the first year of me having it, no telling how old it was. I can run in some pretty shallow stuff. Coach ran one on his old boat and believed he liked his also.