Jack plate, will it help?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by rodenberg, Oct 14, 2007.

1. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I know this doesnt realy go in this section but I trust the info from fellow mo boys. I have a 2006 2070 roughneck with 115 johnson 4 stroke. I top out at 49mph and have about 300 rpm left before I am at the max. I woundering if a jack plate will help gain a few mph. I have noticed a few of the boc'ers boats at tourny's and If I remember some of you had jack plates. any info would be great

thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the jack plates are used more to position the cavitation plate to the boat. But, just as a question, what is the need for speed when catfishing? I know the bass boys have got to go fast, but do we catter's have to? Seems like the waves I experience would shut down my kidneys so fast I'd never have to worry about going again. LOL.

3. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They're handy if you have long shaft & need a short shaft. Also they move the motor farther away from the transom. Supposed to put the prop into "cleaner" water. I'm getting a hydraulic one eventually, but I fish in some very shallow coastal waters in a flat bottom skiff. 49 is plenty fast for me too Awshucks.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have pretty much the same boat and it does have a manual jack plate on it. I have a Johnson two stroke instead of your four stroke but it is a 115. I won't know what type of speed I have until I get my GPS installed. I am in the process of adding gauges but I don't know how accurate the speedometer will be. It will be a few weeks before I have the money to buy the new GPS. Now I am wondering how fast mine will go. I just bought it and knew it was pretty fast but I did not think it was close to 50 MPH. I need to quite working on it and go try it out a little. :big_smile:
    Is yours a center console?

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you are 300rpm from WOT, then before I invested in an expensive jackplate I would try a new prop.Going 1" in pitch might give you another MPH or two.Unless you have an unlimited checkbook I would caution against pursuing the ultimate MPH because it can get damned costly.Next thing you know you are running around all day trying to find that exact sweetspot that gives you 51.647 MPH as opposed to 51.500.That exact concept cost me a good fishing buddy,because we did a lot of running and little fishing.Far better to run the boat at midrange where you get great gas mileage,adequate speed,you have time to enjoy the scenery and you reduce engine wear by a factor of 8.Your engine will last 8 times longer if run mostly at midrange instead of WOT.:big_smile::smile2:

6. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know I do not have a dog in this hunt. But why would you want to MAX your boat out all this time you are running just seems like harder on the boat then you need to be. And if you are willing to spend all that money for 2 or 3 MPH go for it. I have never caught a fish at 49 MPH. Sorry if this seems a little harsh just my opinion

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are at 300 R's before max then in my opinion I would leave it alone. A motor wasn't designed to run at max for long and even max is only achieved at idea conditions. If you max it out then what you will eventually hear is the top of a piston or a rod go to flirting with the crank shaft.

That engine is working well within its power band.

8. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    that is fast enough when u r trying to pass some one and getting passed at the same time lol it was fun

9. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have a older flat bottom with a 60 hp on it and i cann't run wide open cause it won't pull the nose up with out cavitating will one one help me out
    the boat has a few dents in the bottom and i hear the will provide cleaner water to you motor