Jack Mackerel

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by sccrstar011, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if anyone has ever used and or had any luck with canned Jack Mackerel? I tried it the other day by putting it in some pantie hose, but didn't have much luck. Granted I was only there for about a half hour. I have heard some people say that the pantie hose thing works and others say it doesn't. Whats your take on it?

Oh by the way I'm new around here. I fish on the James River in downtown lynchburg and sometimes at Saunton River State park. (I have a boat, but no motor yet, so for now I'm stuck fishing from shore:angry:).

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome Ryan. Get to the fish market or a bait shop and get some whole undressed mackeral. You won't be dissapointed.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    never tried mackeral, but how is catfishing on james around lynch? Idrive through there all the time working and it looks good around the spillways up from rt. 29 bridge. By the way i live in roanoke.

4. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's decent fishing from the bank. I've only been a few times, but plan on going quite a bit this summer. As far as fishing from the bank, you have to get there early to get a spot in the summer time. I've seen people pull 35-40lb cats out of there. I haven't hooked up with one that big yet, but I did catch a 12lb channel on stink bait (which isn't rare). I fish just below the dam.....its probably a mile upstream from Rt. 29.

5. sccrstar011

sccrstar011 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry just needed one more post so that I can look at pictures and what not. hahaha

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I know that channel cats love shrimp marinated in Jack Mackerel juice. Have had lots of luck with that bait. Good luck!

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Some people on the fourm use Mackerel for bait.

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I like mackeral... hard to use it as bait!