"J" Hooks, Why you use them / why you don't use them?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by copycat, Aug 29, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the common "J" hook. How many people use them and why. Are there times when you use "J" hooks, Kahles or circles for a certain type of fishing? What are your thoughts?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use the J-hook 95% of the time. I just enjoy them. I do use circle hooks when I drift fish are when surf fishing. I have tried circle hooks for everyday fishing but keep going back to regular J-hooks. I am in the process of trying out kahles now, if I can keep the regular J-hooks off my line long enough.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I used jhooks for many years , I when to kahles to get a wider gap for bigger baits

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i DONT like CIRCLES!

i use J-hooks

i want to try kahles though

but i am STICKIN with J-HOOKS!!!

Jeff

5. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I personally use "J" hooks or kahles most of the time only use circle hooks when the bites are very aggressive otherwise I think "J" hooks or kahles work better.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used J-hooks for many a years but new type hooks are being developed all the time like kahles and circles which have a better hookup and less damage for catch & release but I think a person should use whatever they're more comfortable and convident in fishing with.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I bought my frist kahle hook about 5 years ago and you guys can keep your circle and J hooks because as soon as I found out the hookup rate was better with the kahle hooks I stoped using anything else.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    J hooks i`m to hard head to change:0a28:

9. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    lol i use my worm hooks from bass box there like lazer sharp nickle teflon woow there supper sharp hooks.:crazy:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use big eye trotline "J" hooks on my jugs. I tried using kahles on them for a season, but they just rusted out too fast; I did get a better hookup rate with them. Fishing with rod & reel, I seldom use anything but a kahle, except when I'm fishing in a bunch of timber, then I use a circle because it's much less likely to snag.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I use J's for all my fishing needs. One reason I like Js is cause they are actually a hook. Take for instance this weekend, I hung a twenty pound blue with an 8/0 J. I fought the fish in heavy current for several minutes before landing it. When we layed the fish on the deck of the boat the hook just fell out. The reason the fish stayed on was the amount of steady pressure applied to the fish. All that was holding the fish on the line was the very end of the point, the barb wasn't even buried in him. Try that with a circle. Vern

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I used J hooks for a lot of years. I switched to Kahles and now would'nt use anything else other than the ocasional trebble hook with Dk's. I tested the circle hooks and found a good place for them is someone elses boat:lol: .

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    all i use are j's or khales.i dont like circles i can not get use to not setting the hook,plus thats one of my favirot parts of catfishing

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I use j hooks when Im catchin bait, or I want my son to catch gills. My buddys all have switched to kales or circles, cause I been using them with a little more luck than them. I dont feel that there is anything wrong with j hooks, just that I can get more bait on a hook with a kale, or a circle.