J-Hooks vs. Kahle Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Gibbzilla, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I've tried using kahle hooks for a while but I always seem to get way more fish on the bank using J-hooks. Do you have to fish kahles differently, and why are they so much more highly preferred on this site than a good old J-hook?

Circle hooks aren't really an option for me since I fish in a heavily-structured area and if I wait til the fish really let's the rod load up he's already hung my rig up somewhere.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like using both. Like J-hooks you can also set the hook. With Khale you have the option of letting the fish load up the rod or setting yourself. The only thing is when I'm using Khale hooks I don't set the hook as hard as with a J-hook and have a pretty good hook up rate. Just my personal experiences with them. I'm sure others will give their opinions and experiences.
    Hope this helps!!!:wink::big_smile:

3. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    On Kahle hooks most fish hook themselves most of the time, and on the hookset you can drive the hook home also. On Kahle, they are lip hooked most of the time so they are not injured when released. A j hook can easily be swallowed. I also find it easier to hook the fish on a Kahle.

4. OHriverRat

OHriverRat New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I use the kahle hooks with an up eye and a knotless snell . If you look at one of these on a leader the point of the hook points directly in line with the leader line.So when you drive the hook home your line is inline with the hook point I have gotten way better hook up ratio over j- hooks this way.IMO:cool2:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used J hooks all my life. Only recently went to King Kahles 9/0. I really like them and probably will never use anything else again. I tried Circles and they are not for me!!!!:crazy:

6. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    For flats i use king kahles but for channels i use circle or j hooks.

7. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Switch to circle hooks, Read about them and learn how to use them. Hook up rate will double, trust me, they work. I use them drifting, anchored, and all my jug lines. love them circle hooks.

keep them lines wet

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use Kahles for all my fishing. I keep hearing how great circles are , I tried them and don't like them. I do know how to use them. If you are having trouble hooking with kahles try different sizes to fit your bait.Fishing for channels i use 5/0 to 7/0, for Flatheads 7/0 to 10/0.
    If you have good hook up rates with J hook I see reason to change.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use tru turns when i use a j hook. not because of the rotating action, but because i have never had a big fish even start to straighten them out. i am a circle man, but i do have some big khales with an upturned eye. any of them will work, it just depends which one works best with you. take care!

10. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I usualy use goldfish when I am fishing for flats and In my experiences using Khal hooks it seems like my bait is able to get off the hook easier than when I use just a straight J hook. I dont know why. But the thing I do like about khal hooks is the hook set.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used Kahles for many years, and caught plenty of flatheads on them. However, I had a high percentage of them hooking back into the baits I was running. I decided to try something different. Since, I have been running Gamukatsu J- Style hooks in the 8/0 to 10/0 range, and have had none of these problems. I like the gap in the Kahle, but just like the circles they come back at the shaft. I have found when fishing baitclicker, when the flatheads take the bait head first alot of times and swims away, these hooks want to lay vertical with the bait. This allows for the hooking into the bait rather the fish. The J-Style seems to still want to pull in the more upword position on the hookset, leaving the bait to hook into the top or side of the mouth. Just my opinion, and im sure all hooks fished appropriately, are fine... Just don't fit the style I have developed for myself on hookups.... goodluck....rollo

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It sound's to me your useing L141 or 142 hook this hook was realy developed for salt water fishing( its called a ( croaker hook ) you might check out the L144 or L145 these or offset eye up hooks hope this helps

13. Urban Fly Fisher

Urban Fly Fisher New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't really have an overt preference for either J or Kahle hooks. I've used both with successful results, but I'm more inclined to stay with a standard J hook design -- specifically True Turn's, O'shaughnessy style catfish hook. The cam action is nice, generally hooking most flathead in the upper lip. 5/0-6/0 seems appropriate for the bait size I use.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You said it Dale. :big_smile:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never tried them kaels , i dont think their sharp , also how do u hook live bluegill with them , i tried and it seems impossible to hook them behind the dorsal fin, it would have to be through the nose or lips , id like to try them

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    when hooking baitfish with them, hook them at an angle not directley side to side. dont make a "T" with the hook and fish sort of speak make a "X"..... hope this helps

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I fished with J hooks for 50 years.

I found Kahles great for new-bees,kids and old cripples like me with no feeling in their hands.The fish do the hooking.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee