Ivy removal

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by weebrio, May 30, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    How do I remove Ivy from a tree, I have a large tree in my front yard that is over 100 years old, it is coverd in ivy and we want to remove it without hurting the tree.
    I was told the ivy will eventually kill the tree and if I start cutting the main roots to the ivy , the ivy will then just suck the moister out of the tree faster.
    Is there a way or a product that I can use to to remove the ivy?

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bryan, I hope it's not poison ivy!

I think that cutting it away is the only solution. If your tree isn't covered with the stuff yet, it could be in no time. You might want to check out this article...

http://ivyout.org/ivyremove.html

Wish I knew of a simpler way.

I used to think I'd like to have English Ivy growing in a patch of bare ground near the house. That notion passed quickly... lol. The stuff takes over everything! Like the article says, the state of Wa., for instance, has declared it a noxious weed!

Good luck :smile2:

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    If you wait until its hot then cut the roots, the ivy should die before it does too much damage to the tree; at least that has been my experience. For starters, you might cut one vine low, then monitor its progress. Even better, you might want to contact your state agricultural cooperative extension office and see what they have to say.

4. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I live in San Antonio Texas and it gets really hot down here, the tree is about 30% infested with the ivy, we once thought it would look nice but are haveing second thoughts about it simply because it is not really pleasing to the eye.

I think I will start triming it and see what happens, I just dont wand a massive dead tree in my front yard, also it is one of the main trees in the street so I think the folks that live aroud here would be very dissapointed if the tree were to die.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Cut all the runners that are going up the tree. Then apply some brush killer or stump killer to all the ends that are still sticking out of the ground. May take a few aps but this will give you a start. I pray for you that it isn' t one of the poison ivys. If it is be careful. I'm lucky so far and none of it bothers me. Good luck!!