ivory soap

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Rockin' Blues, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    my grandfather used to say that he used ivory soap to catch cats,has anyone ever heard of this and do you know why it works? :confused:

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes Sir,

Ivorys soap and Zote soap will both work for catching Catfish.

It's because of the Animal fat that they are made from.

It leaves a trail for the cats to follow.

This is a vey slow bait, meaning that you need to use it on trot lines, or maybe even jugs. It dont work on rod and reel.

Try it and see what ya get. Just remember that soap normally only catches eatting size fish. If your going for the Big Fish you will need to use live or cut bait for them.

This bait (soap) doesn't work for everyone, but it sure works for me. Good luck and I hope you catch a bunch.....

3. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    My grandfather used ivory soap on trot lines on the Ohio river in the 60's. My oldest brother tells me that he varied results.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Soap works great in cold water. We used to use P&G soap But have not seen any of it for years. It was in a big bar, And you would wear the fish out on it in the winter time.
    We used a hit wire to cut in in pieces. That keeps it from cumbling. But a thin wire without heating works just as good.
    WE would tie a thin wire between 2 sticks and cut it into bait.
    PEte

PS a cheeze slicer will also cut it.

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i have never used ivory, but zote soap has produced good for me at times. i agree with bud1110 about it being a slow bait. i've tried it on rod and reel with not even a bite. i have even caught 10 to 15# blues in the river with it, although most of them have just been eating size ones. it's a good bait to go to when you are loosing a lot of bait off your lines to gar, bream, turtles, gremlins, or what ever the heck is stealing it. zote soap is also very cheap, about a buck apiece at brookshires. try it sometimes you might like it.

6. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Growing up my dad kept a bar of Ivory soap in tackle box and when i was kid we caught alot of eaters with it.

7. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive also used soap on trotlines and had ok results.

8. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Thanks for all the great replys,what do you think of catalpa worms?