Ivory Soap? Good or Bad for Channel Catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I read about someone cathing channel on Ivory Soap. Sounds kind of unreal. Anyone tried this and done any good???????????

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive never used it but ive seen people that did.Its one of those slow biting baits though.The best thing to do is put the soap in boiling water and melt it in a pan that way you can add liver blood or garlic things like that in it then let i cool and your ready to go.

3. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    My grandfather has been using Ivory soap since before I can remember. He melts the bars in a double boiler, you got to do it slow or it will stink up the whole neighborhood.:p After it has melted, he stirs in cornmeal and pours the melted soap out on wax paper, like fudge. Once cool he will cut the soap into 1"x1" cubes. We put the soap on trotlines cause it is a slow-bite bait. As the soap melts it will slowly spread the oil from the soap and cornmeal like a time-release. We have caught Channels up to 20 pounds with it, but most are in the 2-5 pound range.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    My dad and uncle used to cut it right off the bar and bait lines, always caught fish.

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    People here in tennessee use it (commercial fishermen) and do good with it.

6. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    never heard of using soap, but my father always said transmission fluid was great. never tried it though, didn't think it would stay on the bait and also the pollution factor.

7. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    soap works great proters and gambels was good they dont make any more tho

8. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Now who the heck would have thought that Ivory soap would work?

What is the ingredients in the soap that attract the fish?

9. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've heard about it. Everyone that uses it claims it works so I'll have to give it a try!

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its the Fat in the soap. Many of the Texas members have access to the soap made in Mexico, it has a high Fat content.

Been discussed many times, If I have my old e-mail I will post the nitty gritty.

Paul

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Heard It Works Good But I've Never Tried It.

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    it's called Zote soap. brookshire's carries it. very cheap. works great on trotlines and yoyo's. never had any luck with it on rod and reel.

13. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have used ivory soap straight of the bar and caught a nice 2lb channel. He hit that soap so quick Im not sure that it even hit bottom. That was the only time I have used it. It is very possible that the cat hit it cause it fell into his face because It did not have any time to "melt".

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As with any bait, there are exceptions, but generally, soap is considered a 'slow bite' bait. It needs to sit there an hour or two before it really starts to give off that odor that attracts the cats. It's advantages are that it's clean, fairly inexpensive, attracts only catfish, and can be bought in your local grocery. IMO, there are other baits that work better.

15. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Many years ago, I read of using it for bait. I bought 4 bars, cut it with mono fishing line and drilled holes in it. My first trip, it out caught cut shad 4 to 1 on drop lines. I thought I had found the Holy Grail. I have never out fished cutbait with it again. It will work great sometimes and I usually keep a little around, but over time, cut bait or dip bait will catch more fish.

Jim

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I posted this once before and got told to catch perch and cook it for lunch, but high fat fresh hamburger meat mixed with wheat bran flakes and garlic salt will usually catch channels if they are in the mood. High fat, no stink, inexpensive, easily available.
    JIm

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen several bait recipes that use hamburger meat and cheese or hamburger meat and hog brains.

18. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    this soap for bait is unreal I really would would have to see this work :confused:

19. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    It is true, Ivory soap works for bait but it works best on trotlines or juglines.
    I've used it many times and caught several on trotlines with it (2 to 10 lb'ers mostly). Using the double boiler and melting it down and adding you favorite catfish flavors works best but found the garlic added to it worked beter here in Texas.

AL

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't know about Ivory soap, but that Ivory Snow girl of about 30 to 35 years ago...whow... liked to have taken her fishing for a while. lol