Ivory soap as catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfish_jordan, Sep 30, 2006.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    does anybody use ivory soap or herd of using it to catch catfish? if so how well does it work.

thanks

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

This is a link to the library where you can find the answers to many questions. Yes soap works very well if used correctly.

Check out this link..

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50475#post50475

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I would never use it! Pollutes thier environment and is POISON to fish!
    Use your Common sense PLEASE!

4. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    it doesent polutte the water. ivory soap is all naturel and thats why it floats.:big_smile:

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are we on the same page here. I never herd of poison soap. Ivory soap works well in the summer, the warm water melts it slowly and the current carries it down stream giving the fish a trail back to your hook. It has been used as long as I can remember.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Same page...guess not. Put your soap in your fishtank and tell me what happens in the next 20 minutes or so. Then tell me whos readin the wrong book.

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

POISON???

Thank goodness I don't use that soap for bathing...lol.

Say, is there some information you could share with us all here that proves that IVORY SOAP is poison??? I sure would like to read it myself. Personally I use ZOTE SOAP on my trot lines and catch many fish with it. I don't use IVORY as it's very hard, and breaks too easy for me....

8. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    first you only put a little on at a time and what kind of soap are you using because there are bad soaps that have perfumes and colones in them.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jay if you replace their breathing area with anything they die. We all know fish breath in water but all the soap in the country won't stop fish from breathing in a river. I don't know anybody that would replace water in a fish tank with anything. That would be like a divers air in his tank be replaced with something besides air.

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Look Obviously for bathing it's fine but to go puttin it in the river it is then poisonous to the fish. I'm done with this conversation cause it's apparent that you can't be mature about this so, Good Bye.

11. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    there are situations as to where soap could be considered (poisioness) in a sense. but for the small amouts used for bait to the amout of water its no big deal. however there are some soaps such as lava that will make a fish unable to be placed back in a body of water and live after it has absorbed the soap into its blood stream. The basic soaps (non perfumed) will how ever not harm the fish.