I've tried everything...No Luck!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wildturkey, May 2, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Over the past week this is what I have done.

Put out two trotlines, about 60 hooks. For bait I have used frozen shad ( caught and froze them myself ) , I have used them whole, cut using heads and gut pocket, gut pocket and heads sandwiched together, hot dogs in red koolaid, some with garlic salt, live perch and cut perch. Some of the perch are still alive on the hook after 3 days. Some of the cut shad I soaked in garlic oil. Also used some cut carp.

After 4 days I have caught 2 channels about 2 lbs and three blues from 4 to 10 lb. I am fishing a cove on a large lake. My lines are set near a creek in about 15 to 20 ft. of water. I have fished from 2 ft off the bottom to about 12 feet off bottom. Also my sonar shows a lot of fish where the lines are set.
    Every time I run my lines I come home and log on the the BOC looking for different things to try.
    Any advice??
    Thanks,
    JIm
    Than

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like your doing everything right..I've been working some trotlines also with limited success..I've only tried twice and caught very little..I'm gonna try moving around and find some different areas..I just had mine out in the main river channel so I may try around the mouth of a creek or see if I can find a shallow area with a deep ledge near it..I would just keep trying..It could be the activity on your sonar is not catfish..Also you may try chumming around your trotlines if its allowed in your area..I like to use fermented grain..Maybe fish some areas you think might hold fish with a rod and reel and try to figure out what kind of fish is down there and what there gonna bite on..I'm from south Louisiana and had no problems catching fish on a trotline but the waters here in Tennessee are totally different and has been quite challenging to fish..Just keep trying eventually you'll figure it out..And just to let you know your not the only one facing challenges of trotlining I'm in the same boat..

3. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Les.
    I talked to an old time fisherman and he said I needed to be over moss about 3 ft from the top. I am going to try that tomorrow. I am lucky in that I can run my lines in about 15 minutes from my house. I also have some soured grain to bait. It is legal.
    Where in South Louisiana are you from? I used to fly helicopters offshore for PHI and Tennessee Gas.
    Jim

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm from a lil town called Westwego on the westbank of New Orleans..Been in Tennessee since Katrina..My dad used to work offshore he's a pipefitter for Houma Ind. he's probably flown on a few helicoptors..

5. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yup...I know where Westweego is.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i got a cuzn that retired from phi named jerry golden you ever meet him.

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    sounds like you are just having some bad luck.LOL
    just keep doing what your doing and you will get the fish.LOL

8. jer__man

jer__man New Member

State:
    Kingwood Texas
    The cats on Big Sam are in shallower water this time of year. Try moving your lines closer to shore instead of by the channel. That might change your luck. Where are you fishing? I run my lines north of the 147 bridge.

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You might also try running a line parallel to the bank just far enough off
    the bank to be safe for people and deep enough for boat traffic. Cats are
    probably shallower as jer_man said.

10. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just moved one line parallel to the bank in 8 ft. of water and my hooks about 4 ft under. Got a bunch of live perch on them. I feel good about that line.

I don't guess I know Jerry Golden. Glad he made it to retirement:big_smile:

I am fishing on the south end of Big Sam, close to Twin Dikes. I wish I was closer to 147 cuz that is a much better place.
    Thanks all.
    Jim

11. bighoss

bighoss New Member

State:
    Thomson Georgia
    Here in Georgia we run are line across the small cove inlets.We dont use weight.the line will bow down in the middle.So it kind of fallows the botom of the cove.About 18 inch drop lines and 20 to 40 hooks.We catch alot of cats this way.Only problem we have are 6 or 7 break offs.