I've never made homemade bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 13, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    but ive been reading alot of recipies and the posts on here and it seems like a good easy bait to make would consist of choped blugill, anise oil, vinila extract, and some cornmeal and flower, but then again when it comes to making bait im like a toddler doing triganomitry... lol help me out thanks alot
    Marshall

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    play with it man, just try out as much as u want. Alot of folks use anything in there.

3. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I would just start out making a little bit of it and see if it works some baits work better in some locations. If you don't like that one try another in all reality none of them are to hard to make and if it stinks you are doing something right brother. God Bless and good luck

4. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Make it sticky and nasty and stinky. Test in water to make sure it hold together and if its still good after 15 min go for it

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Try a bunch of combinations. If too hard, add a bit of oil. If too soft, add a little flour, cornmeal, etc. I never make mine the same way twice. Experimanting making different baits is a lot of fun!

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I try to make a new one every time I go. I try a lot of different ones.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    go for it! try whatever you think works, i gurantee you that alot of these baits you see hear work! GO FOR IT!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Marshall sometimes you can buy a commerical dip bait that already has a good base (cheese), and you can make small changes of your own and come up with a better idea. The fun is in trying. You might be surprised. Items to add might be: Garlic, Peanut Butter, or Sorghum Molasses.

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Good bait is not that hard to make. It is kind of like reloading. It starts off to be a lot of fun and is cost saving until you figure out you don't save any money you just make more smoke. Caution: the smell of gun powder and fish bait is habit forming and leads to compulsive behavior. I have been making my own bait for several years now. Like reloading the first thing you know you will be furnishing ammo to your friends " Here try this you will like it." They may like it for the simple reason that you are paying for it. It also in time turns from play to work, maybe a work of love, but still work. In the long haul fishing is about fishing not making bait. Depending on how much you fish Start buying your bait by the gallon. Danny Kings has Regular , Garlic and Blood try them all and see if you can tell a difference. When you determine that if you are using more than a couple of gallons per year then buy it by the Five Gallon bucket. If you can buy five gallons in the $150 range you are not going to save much money making your own bait. I like Danny Kings the best with Lewis Kings and J Piggs a close second and third. These guys have spent a lot of time and money refining the bait making science. Buy their bait and spend your time refining your fishing skills and you will come out ahead. If you don't believe me then next august harvest a few hundred heads off cattails just as they are getting ripe. Dry them in Paper bags so they don't mold. Grind equal parts of Beef suet , cheese and bait shrimp mix with the cattails until it looks like Danny Kings. Set it out in the sun in covered containers and let it ripen. Tjhen go fish.

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    What is beef suet?

11. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Beef Suet is the fat that the butcher trims off prepairing the meat for the display case. At our market you have to get the butcher and he will save it for you. It is cheep something like 0.10 per pound. I grind all the constintuents thru a course chili plate that has about 3/8 inch holes.

12. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've heard blood cubes are very successful but have never tried them personally.

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    In the above link you'll find the definition of suet....It's the hard fat around the kidney's of cows/sheep....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suet

It's used alot in wildbird feed...Hope this helps....DemoMan

14. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
  15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Trying different things for bait and experimenting with making your own is definitely interesting. Before you start making a batch, you need to decide if you're going to make dip bait (use with a sponge); 'stink' bait, which is sometimes injected into rubber-bodies lures; 'punch' bait, which has enough body that you simply have to drag a treble hook thorugh it to load it up; doughballs; or just treating something with special scents, etc. Some various additives you might want to consider using are garlic (usually powder), salt, anise oil, vanilla flavoring, shrimp flavor packets from Ramen noodles, cheese of various types including powder used to make cheese sauce. Sweet additives such as molasses, honey, kayro, or peanut butter may work well for cats, especially channels, but may also be attractive to carp.
    One thing I want to try this year is getting a whole bunch of maggots and putting them in a blender (may require adding a little liquid). End up with a soupy mixture that can be used with a sponge. I've got a feeling that it will be extremely effective for eating size fish. Incidentally, that's what you should expect to catch on prepared baits. Sure, an occasional big cat will be caught, but that's rare enough that it should be considered a fluke.

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Sounds like you've been playin around with some scents...Yeah, I found some what I call southern pro "minnow tubes" that are almost 4"s long(skirt included)....I'm planning to inject the minnow tubes and see how they work for catfish.....I've got a lot of various scents to play with, so we'll see....Any suggestions would be appreciated....DemoMan

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah I used to make tons of different baits but one thing was a constant chicken blood. Ive made cheese based baits but it seemed they were not as affective in New Jersey as the blood baits. But things are different from lake to lake and region to region. In Jersey my best baits were of the blood variety and here in Georgia it seems as though they prefer the cheese based baits. Now that I have the Lake behind the house Im gonna start up my mad science lab again Mwah ha ha ha LOL

18. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Bigun, I wish I'd read this before I started down the path of homemade bait...would've saved me lots of heartache and olfactory nerves. At this point, I can open a jar of limburger and breathe normally without gagging. :smile2:

The cattail idea is tremendous, though...I imagine I could make a pretty mean carp bait with some of that and oatmeal and molasses...

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i've tried bout ever4y prepared bait i can find on here and havent caught anything on it.except the cured liver i caught some israele carps on it that where bout a half pound and lil bigger but other than that nothin.