I've lost my Mojo!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Whiskerkitty, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Whiskerkitty

Whiskerkitty New Member

State:
    NC
    Help me out guys! I've been fishing Lake Wylie by boat since the early spring for catfish. I had been doing really well up until about a month ago. The past few trips have seen only one or two fish where I had been catching 10+ fish every trip. I guess I've gotten in a rut doing the same things that used to work. I could use some advice on what you guys think I should change to get back to catching fish. Here is what I'm doing: I fish from sunrise to whenever it gets too hot. I'm trying depths from 5-25 feet in coves mostly. I use a slip bobber rig alot with nightcrawlers for bait. I've tried a Bream head a few times without result. Any advice will be appreciated!

2. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Try fishing at night...

3. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Kelly .
    Everybody goes through slumps good and bad . What you were doing has worked for you so keep on with it . Mako also has a point , if your able try it at night cause it's a little cooler at night for you and the fish . Good luck

PS. maybe someone that fishes that area will chime in here and get you dialed in . Their are quite a few people on here that fish that area . :big_smile:

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Put the bait right on the bottom (Carolina Rig). If there's cats around, you'll get bit. Make sure your baits are fresh and change out your leaders...you may have picked up a smell that is turning the fish off.

Keep at it...your MOJO will return.

5. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Welcome to the BOC Kelly. What lake are you fishing?

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I believe you have been hit by the dreaded spawn. Happens every June/July timeframe.:wink:

7. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    use bluegill shad and crappie :wink:

8. crashman

crashman Guest

I agree with SkipEye, my results slowed at Wylie for a lil bit in the same time period as you, but I think the spawn is winding down now, so maybe it will pick back up for you. Do you have a trolling motor for drifting? It's not hard to do, if I can do it anybody can and you can cover lots of ground that way and not have to wait on them to come to you. There's plenty of information on how to drift on this site. But I think what you are doing can definitely round up channel cats, don't get me wrong, it's just a suggestion. I also agree with the nighttime idea as well, there's no doubt that cats feed a lot at night. I wouldn't give up on a bream head sittin on the bottom either.:wink: Good luck friend!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  9. Whiskerkitty

Whiskerkitty New Member

State:
    NC
    I hadn't thought about the spawn. I'll be back out there tomorrow to try some drifting with bream heads maybe. I think I'll take my fly rod for bream just in case. That's alot of fun in its self! Thanks for the help! If anybody else has a suggestion let me know.