I've had a good week, but I hate trout.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Brando, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    So on Tuesday night, I catch the largest fish I've caught since I was 7 years old. I pulled a 15 lb channel out of my local hole. I followed him up with his 8 lb little brother and several other smaller channels. These are pics #1 and #2. I also caught two trout ACCIDENTALLY, but I'll talk more about them in a minute.

Pic #3 is from last night. It is my buddy John Paul giving his seal of approval to the fried catfish I made. You see, I caught another 6 lb. cat and instead of putting the fillets in the freezer with the others, we decided to have a royal fish feast with catfish, trout that we had caught (me:1, JP:2), red beans and rice, and blueberry cornbread. Blueberry cornbread is what happens when your buddy refuses to have an adequately stocked kitchen and when he wants to make cornbread uses blueberry Bisquick because he doesn't have any flour. It could've been blueberry muffin mix. We really don't know, it was just in a zippy bag in the freezer. Either way, it was delicious.

He was one of those guys who said, "I don't know, dude. Catfish are bottom feeders... they taste fishy... I don't know if you are supposed to eat them." He went on and on. He changed his tune after he tried it, though. "Dude, this catfish is the bomb."

"I know." is all the answer I could come up with for him. We had a ball!

Now about the trout...

Tuesday night I also caught two rainbow trout ACCIDENTALLY which the KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife stocked 1500 of earlier in the day. I threw them back because I was not fishing for them and I did not have a trout permit. I asked an older couple what the deal was with them and they said, "We were here when they stocked them in the spring and we both caught our limit for 22 days straight!"

When I left that night, I headed straight over to Wally World and purchased a trout permit. I knew that I would have to do some research and prepare myself if I was going to catch such a clever prey. Trout is the world's most dangerous game, you know.

Everyone I talked to said, "Take plenty of corn. The LOVE corn." So I brought corn. I brought hotdogs. I brought "super fish gravy infused, realistic impression, night vision, gold lined, gravity fed nibblins and giblets now with hormones, pheremones, and body odor".

I sharpened my hooks to a laser point. I sharpened my knives so dangerously sharp they might lop off your entire arm. I lubed my reel so slick, you'd think it was a politician. I spooled up some monofilament so thin that my grandmother who can do a 10,000 piece puzzle of clear blue sky in less than an hour can't even see it, even when her eyes were good. I wore camoflauged clothing. I painted my face in a jungle tiger stripe pattern. I velcro'd my Ninja Turtle shoes extra snug.

So I set out all my lines and threw in a little extra corn around the hook I knew had the corn on it. Trickery and deception was at hand.

I never have used artificial lures hardly at all (seeing as how I go for catfish), but on the other reel I had, I used them. I used them all. I used ones that sink, ones that float, ones that pop, ones that wig-wag. Ones that have spinners and ones that do not. Ones that look like tiny little fish, and ones that look like the belong in the silverware drawer. I reeled in slowly, I reeled in quickly. I jerked. I jigged. I popped. I walked the bottom. I moved locations. I worked a spot.

All in all, I got 1. 1 friggin' trout. That's it. Now the limit is 8, but I didn't need it. No, no. Not I. Apparently my subconscious doesn't even want to THINK about shattering my stellar reputation with the game warden and get anywhere NEAR the limit.

On the upside, I didn't have to worry about culling. On the downside, I'm an idiot in face paint and Ninja Turtle shoes that has only 1 fish to show for it. The only fish I caught was on three corn niblets on a #8 aberdeen hook, the smallest I could find. It was like threading corn onto a boar's hair. After I caught that one fish, they wouldn't bite corn or anything else at any depth and regardless of how many niblets I had.

I could see them laughing at me. Really. I wore my super-nice polarized lens sunglasses so that I could see a little ways into the water. I would see them sitting around like dogs playing poker, watching my baits and doohickies and laughing at me. I think they were playing Euchre, though. It would only make sense. Every now and then bubbles would come to the surface where one fish couldn't contain his laughter anymore and he laughed so hard that air shot out his nose. It's a good thing I caught catfish, otherwise my 1 trout catch would've been embarrassing.

I hate trout. :doubt:

***P.S.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love 'em. Thanks. --B

Attached Files:

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL, ah, I love my trout fishing. Most people use the corn around here but I use 1/2 a crawler and they flat out tear them up. Its pretty common for the kids and I to go and catch 70 or so. We can only keep 10 each so we keep the bigger ones, usually around 14" long. Other the other hand I've gone like you and they just look at my bait and do nothing but that seems to only happen here if its warm enough outside. This year I'm saving them heads for the cats and see how that does. Using worms also brings the chance of catching a bass or cat also : )

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I grew up on a trout stream. Been fishing for them since age 4. If your using corn, you may want to kick it up by adding garlic powder to it the day before. But worms, minnows, helligramites are all great. If there was one live bait I'd choose above all others, its the helligramite. I had one once follow it back to me when I was trying to recast and it litterally jumped out of the water and tore it in two. I have 2 witnesses. I also always have some small rapala's and black roostertail spinners with me.

4. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Hmmm... garlic powder, eh?

After purchasing the additional trout permit, I'm willing to try anything to pull in my limit. I'll be sure to buy worms and grab some minnows out of my tank before I take off next time.

You'll recognize me instantly at the pond. I'm the guy spider-rigging for trout from dry land. hahahahaha!

5. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Ditto on the roaster tails, I use the white one with small black dots on it, white feather......works the best here.

6. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I used one of those. Maybe I'm not using it right. Arrrgh. What's even more frustrating is that JP was using one exactly like I was and he caught a trout on it on the other end of the pond.

7. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I enjoyed that story very much. And no I have no suggestions but great story. :)

8. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Fishermans Park ????

9. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    That was a good story,keep'em coming!!:big_smile:

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Brandon, while laughing at your trout fustrations I forgot to send you your "Congratz".... so there ya go,lol-Jim-

11. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Thanks all. It really was a fun week! And no, this was not Fisherman's Park. This was at Miles Park. Tom Wallace is the other lake that is stocked with trout, but they got 2000 of 'em. I ready now, though. I bought even more super-nibblins in different colors and I bought more rooster tails.

I also own a pistol.

They are going to hit these baits and lures, or I'm going to try some high velocity lead as a "sinker." (sinker; see also: depth charge)

Avast ya scurvy sea-dogs and beware!

P.S. - John Paul says that I'm no longer allowed to use the word "chartreuce." He says that if I meant green, I should just say green because green is understandable and "chartreuce" is a word that I just made up.

P.P.S. - It's 4:00 am. T-Minus three hours until the park opens up. I don't sleep. I wait.

12. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Every considered writing a fishing column or a book about fishing? I look forward to reading your further adventures made me fall out of my chair this morning. Thanks!!!:smile2:

13. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Haha, I'm waiting to go also....Can't sleep. If you don't catch any this time we are going to have to dress you up like a giant minnow or something. I have my 2 kids going so this ought to be fun. A day of grilling and fishing...life is good : )

14. dirty harry

dirty harry New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great job brando, howdy to the other brothers. How would we get one of those national meeting 2008 invites anyone know? Gatherings are incredibly fun, we had several when I was in cali, a national one should really be a blast. Brando, lets hook up and do some fishing soon, I have to leave tonight for Indy for a business meeting but will be back Wednesday night, then deer season next weekend, but starting the weekend after lets do it. In fact any brother that wants to do a little winter fishin lets try to hook up. My cell number is 502-773-1134. Look forward to doing some fishing and finding some holes.

Paul

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

When Im using my roostertails, I dont use a steady retrieve, I will reel in for a 3-4 count then slow down to get it to sink for a one count then pick up the speed again. with the pause or slowdown, you want it to drop deeper but not stall the blade. That way it looks like an injured fish swimming in spurts.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    congrats on your big fish brando.

as for the trout:

if your after the trout they just stocked then troll tiny raps or tiny traps on about 150' of line behind the boat. if the lakes are deep enough to hold trout over year after year, then the bigger ones are what you want. the little stockers tast like purina trout chow, imo. we start fishing for the "hold overs" in july when the lakes stratifies( defelopes a thermocline). all we use is half a crawler under slip bobbers at night. hang lanterns over the side of the boat to atract the minnows and the trout will follow.

good luck hope you can find the bigger trout in your waters.

17. bigboy1352

bigboy1352 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    trout is all that seem to be hitting at miles not a good cat week at all

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Very entertaining story Brandon.

19. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    brando i like your post .your fishing trip seem like adventure keeping them coming.