I've got a question?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Dec 12, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I seen a post from Lil Cat in regards to stuffed nightcrawlers and it reminded me,Has anyone ever heard of African Nightcrawlers or Australian Nightcrawlers. I have checked the websites,and these Africans get pretty big.The little dab of info I got was they can't tolorate cold very good at all and you have to have a light on em all the time or they'll crawl out of their box.They do great in heat and as far as I can tell require no refrigeration.Supposedly they grow to get pretty long,and they make excellent compost for the garden.Just wondered if anyone has tried em for fishin.The one guy that emailed me he sells em they sound like a great business venture and he has used em for Walleye fishin,so what do ya all think? Any and all Opinions are most welcome and I humbly thank you very much for posting in regards to this subject! Walk in peace family!:big_smile:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I admit I don't know anything about african worms. As a general rule it's not a good idea to release non-native species of anything anywhere. As for fishing, I usually don't need a bigger worm than regular night crawlers. I don't know where they are from, (argentina maybe) but I have seen earthworms 5 feet long on TV. I thought then about how big of a catfish you could catch on one of those things! And the hook you would need to put it on. Interested in knowing more about them.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I saw a show on the Austalian ones on Discovery Channel one time and they were HUGE! they were 4-5 feet long and about 3 inches in diameter. They were bigger than most snakes in my area. I bet they would be great bait but they are very rare and I doubt anybody could get ahold of them. You could be going for a state record channel and still ahve to use your worms as cutbait, lol.

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    In biology we disected a huge worm, it was about 18 inches or so long, alot longer than you'll find in any bait shop! I always wondered what kind it was. Some were smaller and some bigger, but they were all fat...looked like a snake and made seeing the different chambers very easy. Interesting post Pat, I had no idea that worms get 4-5+ feet, thats kinda scary. Im 5'7...:crazy: can u imagine running a hook thru that...:0a30: turns me green jus thinking about it.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As I said I have checked this website and some feller named Alan emailed me back. Go to NightCrawlers.com and you will find African and I think Australian nightcrawlers.Maybe you folks can find out more info than me but if it would make a good venture business wise ya all know my situation and it would be very nice to have some extra change in the pockets.:big_smile: :big_smile:

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I would chack out the legality of the imported worms in your area before investing to much