I've got a question about some shad I saw today

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by SeedTick, Jun 29, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ya'll, We were fishing on the Arkansas River today and the shad were thick. There were several schools of them and they were jumping and rolling all over the top of the water. It was not like stripers or anything was after them. They were like that Tuesday and I even put on some rattle traps and small spinners to see if I could catch something that might be after them. I fished in, around and under them with shad and skipjack also and didn't get any bites.They were in 3 or 4 different coves in behind some rock dikes and the water was from 5 to 40 foot deep.

Could they have been spawning?

ST

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that sounds to me like they were spawning....thats how they act around here when the spawn is on

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Soudns like they were spawning to me. Was it right near dark when you saw them? Then usually when I start seeing them like that, and it's usually in shallower water near rip rap. Maybe they stay balled up and move out over deeper water during the day?

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like you had alot of bait at your hands for easy pickings. Probably spawning but who knows.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Hey Alan, I saw them around noon Tuesday and from around 9:00 - 12:30 today. All I know for sure is that I don't know nothing for sure?

ST

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Just a little bump to get this back to going to see if anybody knows what is up with these shad.

ST

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    whenever i see schoolin shad in waters that are likely to have other fish chasin them, i throw a lure that resembles the size of the shad on the edges of the school. I try to jerk it, let it fall, twitch while reeling...whatever i can do to simulate a wounded fish...have caught several different species of fish at times doin this....

This past weekend i saw some shad in open water of the river and started chuckin my rapala (looks like a threadfin or gizzard shad) and caught a few rockfish...one of them knocked my rap out of the water, then nailed it after it went back down..was a lot of fun! :big_smile:

cyas
    rc

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Hey Robert, That was what I thought too at first so I threw a rattletrap or two at them. But after I watched them for 2 days I don't think anything was after them. There weren't any of them running from anything they were just jumping around in schools. I've never seen anything like it before.???

ST