I've got a keeper!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by astutzman, May 15, 2006.

1. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I caught my first ever flathead last night down at Sangchris lake. He wasn't a monster, but at about fifteen pounds he was easily the biggest fish that I've ever caught. He's a breeder though, so I had to put him back.

The "keeper" is my fiancee, who drove thirty miles at 10 PM to come out and help me CPR him for my new avatar. Now that's the sign of true love...:smile2:

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Think you might be right....!

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Way to go man good Job.

Now you better Be nice to that little lady sounds like ya owe her one.

in the future you might want to pack a cheap digital or a disposable camera with your tackle. running out to the middle of no where at all hours of the night wears thin on the ladys pretty quick...........LOL Been there done that....ain't going back. it wasn't pretty I pack a camera now.

4. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Looks like a real nice fish. Yeah she's a keeper and take the advice of packing a camera. Good Job!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish man, glad to see you put it back!

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Alan congrats on your first flathead, always nice to get that first one. The BOC helped me get mine. Good luck the rest of the year.

7. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I've got a camera that I always keep in my tackle box, but it's water proof so there's no flash. My fiancee said she didn't care about driving down there though, and I think she ws even more excited than I was. :big_smile:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well wait til that fiancee turns to wife and all that will change...lol. you done the right thing with the camera. cogrates on the flathead.

9. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    astutzman,

Congrats to you. I use to fish sanchris with my parents in their boat by the powerhouse and did real good fishing for channels. Would love to get up there and do some fishing myself. Only problem is I can't put my boat in with that 25hp limit. Keep up the great fishing!!!

Wayne

10. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Wayne,

I wouldn't let your motor size stop you, I see guys in there with big ones all the time. They just tilt them back. I guess as long as your not using it the lake patrol won't hastle you too much. They just don't want any skiers down there (which isn't a bad policy imho).

11. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tilting it back is fine as long as you are already at the spot you want to be at. Maybe I should get a little sticker that resembles a "25" and place it over the "50" on my outboard and they won't know the difference :big_smile: Anyway, that area by the intake to the powerplant is a great spot. I will just have to keep fishing Carlyle and Baldwin lakes. Taking my son to Baldwin this weekend; hoping to catch a couple good blues or channels. Happy fishing!!!

Wayne

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Alan,

Yes, she sure sounds like a keeper!

And your catch is very nice! I just recently caught my largest, a 14.5 flat... and I'm a few years older than you. :big_smile:

Good luck with your keeper and fishing.

13. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I wouldn't try the 25 over the 50 decal - its been tried and failed quite a bit.
    Most guys have a kicker motor.

14. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    looks like a keeper. wish i could catch one and i will. any hopes for me to catch one?

15. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    tony,

Stick around here and you're bound to get some good tips. This site is great for information on when, where and how to catch big catfish. it worked for me.

16. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Great catch brother, I once put a 9.8 decal over a 85 merc ,but it didn't work either, got a lot of laughts though..............

17. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey dragger,
    Maybe mine will work since i have a 50hp 2 cy and as far as size goes it looks like a 25 4 cycle :smile2: ... Either way, it will be a while before I make it up there to fish Sanchris. Carlyle and Baldwin will have to get "fished out" first :wink:

18. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats on your biggest flathead. nice fish.

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Congrats on the nice flathead.

20. Peavey8Cat

Peavey8Cat New Member

State:
    Canton, Il
    Congrats on your first Flattie. Taking a camera is good idea if you have someone that can use it while you hold the fish