Its your turn to tell it!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by john catfish young, Sep 15, 2009.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    :crazy:Lets take a moment to honor our personal best catches and share the story with our BOC brothers. Lets get fired up and set some records this fall bros....what do you say?

Most awesome catfish fight stories.

While fishing an all nighter with griz and the tuesday night red-tails(05-27-08), I was fishing 4 rods with live bluegills. The furthest rod was set out around 75-100 yards away from my chair off of a shallow point. As I started to enjoy a hot off the grill cheeseburger around 10 pm , I noticed the glow stick on the tip of my rod and it was bent over to the water and it was going crazy.

So I ran the 100 yards in the dark and got to the rod and it was hard to get out of the rod holder. The drag was screaming on the Penn spinning reel. I stiffened up the drag and gave a big jerk. The fight was on and it was such a battle. I was using 20# mono on a Penn 6000 spinning reel with a 9' Penn rod. The battle lasted around 15 minutes and once the fish was landed, pictures were taken and it was weighed at 67.2 lbs. The fish was immediately released alive and in good shape.

One thing that was a big help in landing this fish was the fact that I only casted out about 15 yards of line and the fish took the bait in about 4-6' of water. There was no heavy cover it could reach and no really deep water either. It was such a battle, that after it was over....I was sick for over an hour. All I could do was sit in my chair and chill! What an adrenaline rush!

One other memorable fight was on my P.B. Bluecat(47.9 lbs.) caught after dark on a bluegill head. I casted out around 75 yards of line and in 20-30' of water. I had the pole laying on the ground and propped up on my tackle box. I was sitting in my chair right on top of my rod.......drinking a cold one. The rod launched itself over the tackle box and was into the water as I grabbed it just in time. Line was screaming off the spinning reel and I stood up and jerked. I fell over on my back because of the wet rocks.

The fight of my life was on! This fish had over 100 yards of my line and fought me hard all the way into the net. This fish never gave up. Into the dark you could see my line going out at eye level. It looked like it went on forever in the darkness. When I would pull the rod to try and get some line back....you could here the 20# mono singing and stretching tight. Griz warned me not to muscle him. He could here the line singing too.

The fish was finally netted and weighed at 47.9 lbs. All I could do was sit down and chill! My legs were shakin and I was wore completely out. This was probably the hardest fight I have ever had with a catfish!:crazy:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    now how are we expected to fallow that! lol great story man.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My most awesome catfish story happened last December 20. I was fishing on the Potomac River with some nice folks and BOC member Kenlaw. In his previous trips, he caught a couple 30lb blues and that morning hauled in another 30lb+ blue. He wanted to to get a nice blue so when one of his rods went off and bent like a big fish was on line, he told me to take it.

I ended up reeling in my PB blue cat ever at 35lbs.!

That's what happens when you meet, get to know, and fish with great members of the BOC!:cool2:

4. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    The best fish fight i had was one i did'nt get in,i was 18 and thought i knew alot,but did'nt know anything i had bought me one those big zebco reels and a stout rod it had 20lb test line on it i was ready for some big
    catfishing LOL,the river was almost at flood stage i went to a spot where
    the river backs up in to a large ditch,baited up with a big crawdad and set there all proud of my new catfish rig and bamm something almost jerk the rod out of my hand i was fishing striaght dn in the creek water was about 10' deep with no current i could not move this fish he would just swim around in a circle i just knew my rod was going to brake this went on for 5 mins or so until he got out into the river on me thats when he broke my line wish i knew what a drag was meant for back then,i do'nt know how big he was,i have caught a 26 lb flat and a 22lb blue it was bigger then either one of those:sad2:

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Up until this may i was a flathead virgin. i was at my first boc gathering and we fished the first night and caught a few lil channels. had some pizza with the guys took the family out for the sites and then went to catch some bait. All we got were some shad, a big crappie, and lots of big sunfish. Me and my brother in law fished the tourney from 7pm till around midnight when we decided to change spots. We saw a guy 1/4 mile down the bank and talked to him. He told us to wait it out here that by one a.m. the flatheads would show up for sure. I was scheptical but decided to take his advice. Were we were fishing was a shear dropoff. 20ft out it was about 4ft deep and at 22ft out it was like 12ft deep...so pretty steep drop. Well i fished like 30 ft out with a life sunfish and my homemade catfloat which up to this point hadnt caught me a fish. it was only set 4ft deep. At 12:50am my clicker started going all slow and slothful. I locked er down waited for the rod tip to load up and gave her hell. At 1am exactly i landed the 39lb 10oz flathead. I am so glad this guy gave me that advice and was so happy to lose my flatty virginity on such an amazing fish. After 7am weigh in he was released. I missed winning the tourney by 2lbs BUT was just happy to have caught such an amazing fish as my first!

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I moved up on the MO river just to be close to huge cat waters. PB flathead. We was just dinken around fishen for eaters me, my boys and a my friends 2 sons. So all we had out was light rigs 10 to 12 test spin casters and spinnen rods. The lil bllues and channels were biten good till 11pm and they shut down cold. Well I reeled em all in and reabaited with some small skip jack chunks thinken some 10 to 20 lb fish had moved onto the flat we was fishen. 30 min later I hear a drag screamen on the zebco 33. I tell my friends boy shawn to get it. He picks it up and the fight is on the fish just moves slow never travels fast or hard he just stays put in a small area. 15 min into the fight Shawn gives out tired and asks me to take the rod. Me thinking it was a big soft shell turtle, I just start pummpen and reelen 10 min later a see a brown tail break next to the bank 4 1/2 ft from the line my heart stops. I yell get the !@(!#*!)#*!# Net. Shawn gets it under his huge head and 3/4 in the net and all the boys drag em up on the bank. We just stood there aww struck. I looked @ that lil 6 ft rod with a zebco 33 and 10lb line with that lil cheap baitholder hook and shook my head. And High 5 Shawn we share the catch lol. Scales read 65 on the money on that massive ol flathead.

PB blue. Fishen in mid september 2008 I had a day peeps dream of. I got a 45 flat, 22lb blue. And some hookups and break offs haven a great time fishen. Well after the break offs and hang ups I had to re-rig all the gear. First rig I got done I baited up with a chunk of bighead and lobbed out. Was in the process of reriggen another when that rod just bows down hard and slow. I pick her up and the fight is on. I cant controle this fish he goes everywhere he wants around me. I start gainen on him 30 min into the fight thinken this gona be a good one. I get him up by the boat and see the head to tail and water pushen and my heart just drops in my chest and goes into overdrive. The fish dives pullen 50 yards of line off.
    I work em back and get em up next to boat my arms are jelly, back burns. Here I am one armen a huge cat reachen for the net. Problem his dang heads almost to big for the net I try 3 times to get him in. 3rd time I get the net over his head and half way down him. I turn the net drop the rod and grab the the net rim with both hands and give a heck of a pull sliden him in the boat with me. I grab a knife cut the line and work the net off him and just flop into the boat seat amazed @ what I see. What I had just brought in on 25 lb mono line and a lil 2/0 octo hook. I cover him with a wet floor rug, pull anchor and haul for the bank and the certfied scales. I get him there and weigh him 74lbs of monster blue out the MO river. We get him back to the boat and I haul for the river. I wanna let him go. Sad to say he stopped kicken and died before I got back to the river. Its the fish in my avatar. From now on if I think they are that big to heck with it, CPR for em. I dont care if I can get a good weight on em. I want them monsters to to swim free.

7. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I got off work early one morning and after catching some chubs and gills headed to a spot on the river where I lost of a biggun last year. So I set out my two poles and kick back in my chair and start scrolling through the boc on my blackberry. After about 30 minutes I notice my line slowly going out and dropping so I go over and turn my clicker off, which hasn't made a sound, and start reeling up the slack when I feel some weight so I start reeling faster and them POP. I feel nothing the line goes slack so thinking I cut my line on the rocks I start reeling faster to see what had happened (my braid cut through my sinker slider)then it got heavy again except the line was upstream from me and then my 8/0 team catfish barried in the corner of it's mouth and the fight was on. he headed straight down and I waited for a few minutes to get my first quick glimpse of her and then all I got to see was her tail before she shot straight into the heavy current and started peeling off drag. after about 15-20, which felt like an hour I grabbed ahold of her for the first time and started screamin and jumpin around. the older ladies that were out walking thought I was crazy until they saw what I was screamin about and came over to see my catch. I couldn't sit down for the next 2 hours even after the fish was weighed and released. WHAT A RUSH!!!

8. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    your still excited you forgot to say how much it weighed LOL

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

lol sorry it was 46 the one in my avatar

10. WizardOfOZ

WizardOfOZ New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My personal best (rod and reel) is fairly puny in comparison to big river fish, probably 25-27 lbs according to a rinky-dink scale I use to measure pool chemicals with.
    But I took this one from the confluence of the Walnut and Whitewater, after a mile long hike through bean fields and brush, at about 1 a.m. when it was still about 90 degrees...
    This is a place all the fish check when they are hunting for food, the drawback is all the debris/cover that makes landing a big fish pretty rough.
    Having lost a half-dozen big fish made actually landing this one all the more special: things went just right, for once, and I got a chance to lay eyes on the leanest, meanest, longest, rib-showin, positively ripped flathead I've ever met. An uglier fish there never was: mottled brown/tan/yellow, with a white scar 2/3 of the way back on his side. But beautiful to me.
    I can't hold my breath all that long, so I kept this one out of water for just a few moments, and sent him home to keep on kickin ass in the river.

I was fishing a goldfish under a 9 inch cylinder style float with a glowstick taped to the top. Sitting on the point I could use the current from each river to waggle my bait along the line formed by the competing currents. I was probably 50' down the river, in about 4 feet of fairly fast moving water over a gravel bottom...the tail end of the hole in front of the point.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My first 50-lb flathead.

this happend in August of 2002

I was fishing a new spot I found on my Local river, it was about a 2 mile walk down some rialroad tracks to a remote spot..I then had to claw my way thru briars and down a steep bank to a spot that I just knew had to hold big flatheads.

I casted out 2 live suckers, this was around 4pm, by 6pm I had no hits.
    I decided to use the suckers as cut bait, and casted out the heads.

5 minutes later I has ahold of my personal goal which turned out to be a 50-lb flathead...I had never fought a fish that big and was afriad to horse him in, so the battle took quite awhile.

I was fishing off of a steep rock bank and when the fish surced I just knew he was gonna get off, but I got it back to the bank again, and had to lay down on the rocks to grab the fish...I called my son who made the long walk down to take my picture...The pic is below and is of poor quality, it was getting dusk and the disposible camera I had at the time had no flash.

Attached Files:

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    My 42

It was my first year flathead fishing and really didnt know what to do. Steve and i hit a spot that isnt exactly a secret but still doesnt have much pressure. I had suckers and live shad, i threw out my first bait which was a shad about 4 inches long. I walked down the river bank to try to catch some gills. I was gone for about 10 minutes when steve yelled, "Your running!" I came over and the clicker was just screaming, if a reel could start smoking im sure it would of been. I set hook and didnt have my drag set (thank god i was fishing 50 pound fireline) the fish buried my rod almost snapping it in half.:crazy: I loosened the drag and got the fish in, my line was frayed like no other. Safe to say i was cheesin big time :big_smile: . That was 4 years ago, its my avatar pic