Its TIME!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Oct 12, 2007.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Come on folks~
    The flatty bite should be on and the weekend is upon us. Let's get out there before it gets too cold and post some results!!!
    * It has been pathetic this year!! Aside from Dale, (Riverbud) down in Blythe, There has been no big fish..

:wink:

~ Good luck!

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Depends on what you call BIG. My 4 year old daughter caught her PB of 33 lbs. Thats bigger than my best this year. I've been on 5 trips in my new boat and caught flatheads 4 out of 5 trips. all between 8 &15 lbs. My daughter has the family PB so far this year. Its not over yet though. :big_smile:

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a few of us are heading out to the lower colorado this weekend to try and get into some big fish. will post pics if we do any good.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    I HAD A DREAM last night, and it went like this. it's saturday nite, in the yr of our lord 2007, (tomorrow night for slow people :wink:) and poles are bending, nets are bending, and the boats are sitting low in water cause of weight of flatheads. CAN YOU FEEL IT????? we are gonna get some tomorrow! my salmon net will be ready, my gaff will be ready, and if they don't work, my hands will be ready to gill them. i'm ready, and know my boat and the others are gonna be slimey come sunday morning.:confident:
    gary

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice!!!! Good to hear you guys are getting the lines wet.

Chum~ Why did'nt your daughter hold that puppy up? JK~ Looks as big as her!

Nice job!

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a question for the Arizona members. I live in Las Vegas, Nv. Where is the closest place to catch Flatheads or Blues in Arizona from Las Vegas? I need to catch something other than channels.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    first question. do you have a boat, or bank stuck? if boat, anywhere the colorado river runs. lake mead has them, but no one fishes them. up in upper basin is good place. over near black canyon i've caught a few also. from shore,
    in river below cottonwood cove and down. but have to find places to get down to river. if fishing lake havasu, try the intake pipes area, but there you need boat.
    lake mojave has them, but not sure where to tell you to go there.
    these are a few places i've caught them myself. i was born and raised in henderson, so used to fish mead a lot.
    gary

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks for the reply. I'm bank stuck. I live in Henderson myself, 12 years now. I have caught a few channels in Lake Mead in the past, but no flats or blues. They aint here although Ive been old there here. The game wardens here dont even know what a carp is. SERIOUS.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Mike, do you know where kingman wash is? local name is the paint pots. it's across the lake from boulder beach near mouth of black canyon. (opening to down to dam) i know the lake is down, but that area might work. just watch for snakes over there. you will need a az stamp to fish from shore there though. only 3.00.
    i wish i could tell you better places to go, but been too many yrs since i've fished up there and the lake is so low now. plus, they've closed off most of roads that lead down to lake. maybe talking to rangers might help. think gills are legal there (best check though first) and try and find deeper spots you can fish from shore.
    or plan on going down river some. blythe isn't that far to go for you. my first flathead came just below the bridge where 10 crosses over the river.
    gary

10. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You know how it is with fishing. It is all about the glory. When her mom wasn't paying attention i pulled my daughter to the side and said " Hey little girl. Either you let me take a picture holding your fish or i'm not taking you fishing anymore!!!! " She complied. :tounge_out:

Oh BTW..........
    I told you it wasn't over yet. :wink:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL164/2041487/17331199/283379182.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL164/2041487/17331199/283379184.jpg

And my daughter thought she could catch a bigger one than mine. That'll teach her. Now i just gotta keep her out of the boat for the rest of the year and i can have the family PB this year. :crazy:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Thanks for the reply Gary. I know where ya talking about Since 9-11 ya cant get near most of those places. Dont blame them at all. I have heard mixed talk about flatheads down by Laughlin.

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    those are some nice fish.The is bigger than your little girl.LOL.

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ozzy, if you don't mind driving a little, head down through searchlight to needles. as 10 crosses the bridge, i believe there is a road going down to river. i've heard great for flatheads there.
    cottonwood cove used to be good also. live bluegill on sliding sinker worked before.
    you are saying now that kingman wash is closed because of 9-11? didn't think it was that close to dam. hmmmm?
    it's been many yrs since i've fished mead, and that lake had dropped so much that i really don't know where else to suggest. around the intake tower used to be good, but don't know what that is like now.
    gary

14. shadesaz

shadesaz New Member

State:
    arizona
    very nice flatties Travis.

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Ozzy... been reading Garys post.... I'd say go to Laughlin and head to the Nev. side of the area below the Dam.... I'm not sure as to the parking now, but the water is slower than on the other side on the Az side which has a decent campground...but check there with lots of weight as close to the dam or run out area of the Dam....

Also, if you go down I-40 as it crosses the Colorado at Topock, get off just over the river and go back to the north to Golden Shores Marina, and they have shore fishing on the Colorado as the water comes out of the Topock Marsh area..... the really deep holes are accross the river under the RR tracks on the Ca. side

Good luck.... bayrunner ray

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my bad. i need to check map before i type. i met the 40, not the 10 interstate.
    i haven't fished that part of the river much either though, so :surrender: to rays knowledge of up there.
    gary