It's the FULL MOON!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Do you guys ever catch when the moon is full? I have the worst luck during the full moon. I have never caught anything over 10lbs during a full moon. Do you guys hang it up for a few days like me or do you keep on fishin?:cool2:

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i keep fishin,, i got lucky with my wife, she fishes so we go about 6 nights a week regardless,,, ya cant catch em if your line aint in the water. i did notice when the moon is full i usually dont get good runs till after midnight or 1 am.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    keep on fishing brother. i've only ever had one bad night during a full moon and that was because they closed the lock gates for some reason and killed the current and the bite. during the full moon i have found that the fish are either really shallow or really deep. i've done better really shallow with structure nearby.

4. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can't catch anything when there is a full moon.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The full moon is my favorite time to catch "BIG FLATHEADS". We usually dont catch the numbers, but when we do catch one under the full moon, it is usually a "HOG". Many of the record flatheads were caught under full moons or 3/4 moons. Lots of times the flatheads caught under full moons are in very shallow water and this takes some finesse' not to spook them!

Also....when following the solunar tables predicted time tables for the bite......the full moon = midnight bite!:cool2:

6. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    I've never really noticed a difference in bites compared to a full moon and no moon. The only diff is where I fish in a full moon when its brite on the water i'll fish darker areas on the water that the moon doesn't hit like under a bridge or in the middle of a really big log jam, if I cant find any dark areas in the water then i just try to find the deepest points that the light of the moon might not effect as much.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Full moon has always been great to me. Had some of my best nights on a full moon. I wouldn't ever sit at home just b/c of the moon, you sure won't catch anything there.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Get out there and fish son!:wink: I have had some good nights with a full moon.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wont let the moon phases or the wind direction or any of that nonsense stop me. Caught a 20# flat last night and the moon was pretty much full, so I believe ill head back down tonite to try again.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Alright, tonight I will go test my hypothesis by soaking some sunnies.

Full report in the morning!:cool2:

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Keep fishin,you ain,t no werewolf!:crazy:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    A lot of hard work! Nice 17ler from last night!

The full moon is not totally futile!

Attached Files:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Comin around a little on the full moon deal huh? Next thing I know you,ll be wanting to fish for carp!LOL:crazy:

14. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    full moon or no moon, rain or shine, night or day, hot or cold, doesn't matter I put a line in the water every chance I get.

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    freaks come out at night when theres a full moon, lol ....what i mean is my biggest fish were all caught during a fullmoon, i believe the bigger cats use the moon light to hunt by. makes them move more... but dont expect to fish deep water during a full moon, ive never had luck in 15+ft during a full moon, shallows and cover with live bait work for me.

16. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I went last night at a local lake fished till 11 using live gills didnt get a bite:confused2:
    I might try again tonight.

17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i get big bites and miss em ona full moon

HAVENT CAUGHT A SINGLE FISH ON FULL MOON...EVER

maybe just a coincidence but ic atch tons on moonless nights

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  19. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    UH WELL...SAME HERE LOL..NOTHIN BIG BUT LOTS OF BIG MISSES AND GOT A FEW 4 AND 5 LB ERS IN....MAYBE I SHOULD WHINE MORE OFTEN

20. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My cat goes outside every night to prowl around. But not last night
    the full moon must have scared him off.