It's On

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by vlparrish, Jul 15, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    After 3 months it's finally on. I have begun to harvest my cantaloupes. I ate a whole small one all by myself yesterday. Then while Dave and I was on the water tonight we split a nice juicy biggun. Vern

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ain't nothin Better than a Good old Lope when it comes to eatin!!! Lip Smackin Goooood. J.D.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This brings back memories guys. I think I was ten or eleven on one hot summer day when I helped my uncle Ike string fence(I don't think I was that much help though). He rewarded me by sharing a cantaloupe with me. He kept one on top of a milk can in the cooler. Ice cold water running in a steady stream of July refreshment over a sweet juicy golden orange ball of delight! You know what the best thing about that day was? he gave me whole half, yeah a whole half of melon. I felt pretty darn important at that moment. lol all because of a cold muskmelon!:wink:

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    when you all get tired of eaten all them just send them on down here ill take care of them for you

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll trade ya a few for some Okra buddy ,Glad you have had a good garden this year.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One of my favorite things about summer...

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Thanks guys, they are good and many more to come. Vern.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I dont believe ya, you'll have to ship me one and I'll decide for myself. :wink:

9. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Vern's worked really hard this year to get the garden in great shape. I've worked really hard eating what's come out of it.:wink:

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey, at least you're doing your part!!! Buddy, my husband, has been making jelly & jam lately....and I've been working hard eating it! (Don't want to hurt his feelings, you know?Ha!)
    Vern, glad to hear you're getting to harvest & enjoy some of that hard work. Good for you! Nothing like it, is there?

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I cant wait. my cucumbers and water mellon are in full bloom.

12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good job as I can't seem to get them this early growing Superstar and Hale's best.Trying a new kind this year that should be earlier but they aren't ripe yet.The seed cost .35 cents each.What kind are you growing?
    Jake

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Thanks Jake, I always raise superstar, but a local nursery has the starts early every season, never had to start from scratch ( with seed). Vern

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have never ate too much cantaloupe, but I love watermelon. I have to share this story.

About 6 years ago, my ex, got deathly ill one night, you know the commode sitting, vomiting kind, and actually accused me of trying to poison him. :smile2:

I found it so hilarious, that I left him laying in the hall all night long, until he finally felt well enough to get up and go to bed. I laughed so hard at him, it was so utterly ridiculous to me, because at the time he was having severe back problems, and I had about run myself ragged taking him to the Dr. or therapy 3-4 times a week.

I told him it was probably an allergy to the cantaloupe and he didn't buy it. So a couple years later, he buys himself another one, and the same thing happened. I laughed again. Couldn't help it. Now he never eats cantaloupe, to my knowledge.

I had the original laugh and the last laugh on that one. He didn't believe you can develop an allergy to anything overnight. He was even careful and washed it off and everything because he was so sure he could eat it. :roll_eyes:

Sorry, I had to share that story, cause I can still picture him lying in the hall, moaning, groaning and accusing me of poisoning him. :tounge_out::eek:oooh:

15. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Got two cantaloupe yesterday and a bucket full today,also got my first big red tomato for a bacon and tomato sandwich.We have had the little early tomatoes for awhile but they are not good enough for sandwiches.Will try to have cantaloupe as early as Vern next year but will be hard as this is about as early as we can get them to grow.They are the best tasting ones we have had for several years.
    Jake

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have 2 bush sugar baby watermelon vines from burpee that have mellons on them. the 2 largest are the size of a racketball. darn earwigs ate the silk off my sweetcorn so my ears only grew 3-4" long and are incomplete on a side. I tried hand polinating when I found them like that.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Cantaloupe is the only thing growing in my garden this year. One is getting close, I can taste it already.

18. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Jake, vernon gets his starts from a grower that we know really well. He gave us a piece of advice for growing cantalopes when the weather's a little cool for setting them out early. He said to get concrete blocks(the ones with the holes) and put over new plants. this will protect the plants from cool winds and will also draw the suns warmth and hold it in. We usually have good weather for planting, so we haven't tried this yet, but this guy really knows his stuff, so I trust him.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I planted a late crop of zucinni squash, and now its puttin off, This type is called 'eight ball' and is about the size of baseballs . really great flavor,plus since its just now coming on we arent sick of eating squash all summer .

20. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I will grow me some plants and try the blocks next year.Quit growing cantaloupe and cucumber plants in my waterbed because mice would get them before they sprouted.
    Jake