It's official Wylie Cats Famous

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Aug 16, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw the big article on you and your fish in the paper the other day, that's really cool. I notice you were very vague about the location you were fishing. And I think you might have named the wrong bait you were using. But who can blame you. I just wanted to post something about it on here. Give credit where it's due. I've had a bunch of people who don't even fish ask me if I know you. lol. I guess people will probably be asking you for your autograph next. Better get your pen ready. lol

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know, he caught a 55lb blue on Lake Wylie. That's unheard of (That's why it's in the paper).

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I saw him talking about that fish on here, and I do know enough about Lake Wylie to know that a 55lb Blue is unheard of. It just shows that he is an excellent fisherman to catch probably one of the biggest or maybe the biggest fish in a body of water.

I can tell by his post that he is a great fisherman and don't know him personally, but definitely think a lot of him.

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    What paper was the story in? I've only met him once, he seems like a real nice guy. He really knows his catfishing.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice to see a BOC member get recognition. Thanks for sharing.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Wylie catter I just saw this post. Thanks for the plug. Tom Higgins from the Charlotte Observer wrote the story, and there was another one written by a lady from the Lake Wylie Pilot. Higgins story has run on several websites around the southeast.

I have been lucky enough to fish with some really good fishermen like Captain Rodger Taylor of Rock Hill, SC. He has taught me a lot about Wylie and catfish in general. You combine all the things you learn from all the people you talk with, throw in some luck, and you get a nice fish now and then.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah man, I was happy to give you props on that one. The best part of it in my oppinion is that "you" caught it. Somebody who acctually knows what they're doing and fishes a lot. I'm happy for anybody who catches big fish, that's great for them. But if joe blow who just started fishing a month ago would have caught it, it would have made me a little bit sick on my stomach. I like to see people reap the rewards of paying their dues.

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Well Congratulations On That Big Blue

9. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Yes, Congratulations on the Big Blue. Is there a link to the article on the web?

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Very happy for ya man !!

11. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Here is a copy and paste of the Charlotte Observer article

FAT CAT LANDED AT LAKE WYLIE

Source: TOM HIGGINS, SPECIAL TO THE OBSERVER
    Gaston County angler Dieter Melhorn recently caught twice more poundage of fish at Lake Wylie in one day than the winner of the big Bassmaster American tournament boated in two days. Melhorn, 39, a freelance video cameraman, had 55 pounds, 1 ounce. Pennsylvanian Dave Wolak totaled 25-14 in winning $250,000. What's more, Melhorn had only one fish. Wolak weighed in 10. The difference: Melhorn's was a blue catfish, while Wolak's were largemouth bass.

Published on August 6, 2006, Page 10C, Charlotte Observer, The (NC)