Its official, Tony Stewart is leaving JGR!

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by catfishjohn, Jul 10, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/07/09/tstewart.gibbs.haas/index.html

Add another line to Tony Stewart's resume: team owner.
    Joe Gibbs Racing announced Wednesday it has agreed to release Stewart, a two-time Cup Series champion, from the final year of his contract. In turn, Stewart is purchasing what is believed to be a 50 percent stake in Haas CNC Racing and will drive for the team in 2009.
    "I cannot thank Joe and J.D. Gibbs enough for the opportunity they gave me and for the support they've given me throughout my entire NASCAR career," Stewart said in a team statement. "I've learned so much from them and have a tremendous amount of respect for what they've built.
    "I've modeled my USAC and World of Outlaws teams the same way they built their NASCAR team, and I made it a point to find good people to run those programs. If I've learned anything from my time at Joe Gibbs Racing, it's that Joe Gibbs' saying of, 'You win with people,' is incredibly true. They always surrounded me with not just good people, but great people, and the results speak for themselves.
    A formal announcement is expected on Thursday. Fans can watch the news conference live on NASCAR.COM at 2:30 p.m. ET (WATCH LIVE).
    "We've had a lot of success with Tony in our 12 years here at Joe Gibbs Racing," said J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR. "While this moment is bittersweet, we're parting on good terms and we know that each of us has benefited greatly from the other.
    "We grew to two teams in the Sprint Cup Series with Tony and The Home Depot in 1999, and two championships and 32 wins followed. While our time together is coming to an end, we know there's still a lot of racing left this season and we plan to make the most of it. On behalf of everyone at JGR, we're proud of everything we've accomplished together with Tony and we wish him the best in pursuing his dream of NASCAR team ownership."
    Stewart was linked to Haas CNC Racing as early as Talladega weekend in April. At that time he said, "A wise person told me it never cost a dime to listen, so right now we're all ears."
    Stewart ran five races for JGR in 1997 in what is now known as the Nationwide Series while competing full-time in the IRL IndyCar Series. After winning the IndyCar Series championship in 1997, Stewart upped his Nationwide Series schedule with JGR to 22 races in 1998 in preparation for his rookie season in the Cup Series in 1999.
    With a then rookie-record three Cup wins, Stewart collected Raybestos Rookie of the Year honors and finished an impressive fourth in points. After finishing second in Cup points in 2001, Stewart scored his first championship in 2002 by 38 points over Mark Martin. He followed that championship with another title run in 2005 when he beat Greg Biffle for the crown by 35 points.
    Stewart's parting from JGR at the conclusion of the 2008 season will end the longest active driver/crew chief relationship in the Sprint Cup garage. Greg Zipadelli will remain as crew chief of the No. 20 Toyota in 2009.
    "We've accomplished so much in our 10 years together on the track, and off the track, he's been like a big brother to me. It's a friendship I cherish and expect to continue, even while he stays at Joe Gibbs Racing and I move on," Stewart said.
    "No matter what, Tony and I will remain close friends," Zipadelli said. "I know when it comes to the No. 20 team, things will obviously be a lot different next year, but I remain as committed as ever this year to winning races with Tony and securing our spot in the Chase to contend for a third championship."
    Stewart currently is 12th in the standings, just two points ahead of Kevin Harvick.
    "We can still win races and compete for a championship and go out on top. For 2008, that's my number one goal," said Stewart, who will also compete for JGR in the two Nationwide races still remaining on his original, nine-race series schedule -- Friday at Chicagoland and Aug. 16 at Michigan.
    Speculation is that Nationwide rookie Joey Logano will move into the No. 20 car vacated by Stewart. However, sources confirmed to NASCAR.COM that no decision has been made on who will replace Stewart on the team after this season.
    "The 20 car has been one of the all-time great partnerships in NASCAR for the last decade with the combination of Tony, Zippy, The Home Depot and Joe Gibbs Racing," team owner Joe Gibbs said. "While we are losing one piece of the puzzle, we think the No. 20 team will remain strong for many years to come."
    There is no word on Haas CNC's current stable -- including Scott Riggs in the No. 66 and the No. 70, which has had several drivers this season.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Read that in the paper this morning. Wonder how much driving he will actually do.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I bet he'll still drive full time until he retires, Its in his blood to race/drive!!!:wink::cool2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Cool, another Michael Waltrip?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    LMFAO!!! Thats the funniest post I've read all day!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:
    At least Tony has the talent and the ability to bring the man power and driver to the team.
    Another M. Waltrip........LMAO!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:.....Thats too dam funny!!!!!:smile2:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hey, as long as he dont try to run the business and the race from the seat of the car like Wlatrip and so many others have tried he might do alright.

The competition level is alot higher now then it was when Petty was doing it successfully.
    Darrell won only six races as an owner.
    Ricky Rudd won 6 as an owner.

Both will tell you why they weren't successful.
    They were running the whole shooting match from the small perspective of a driver in a seat.

I hope Tony does well. I like Tony but I also have an idea how Tony is. Can he relinquish power or will he try to run the operation from the driver's seat.

I would much rather have seen Tony go with RCR or Hendricks where I think he could be a dominating factor right off the bat.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree with that 100% but I believe he will have pretty good success. I think he'll get the right people to take care of the business side so he can focus 100% on the driving and winning. I like Tony also, I'm a die hard Jr fan but Smoke would be my 2nd fav.
    I guess time will tell. We'll see. Either it'll work or it won't.....:confused2:
    He has had good success as an owner in the other tracks he owns even though he doesn't drive them a lot.

Sorry, I just thought your post was funny. IMO, M. Waltrip doesn't have the brains to be an owner, he may be a good guy but just not owner material.
    Also, I also think Tony should have went with Hendrick but like he said, he likes the ownership side and couldn't pass this opportunity up....Could you? I don't think I could.:confused2:

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    how many wins did michael have before he started his own team? and why.? if is wasnt for the earnhardts cars and pushes hed ba at what? 1.lmao. tony has more talent than michael can find in a phone book. and i dont care for smoke that much.

hell if tony goes with rick they might as well call it national assocation of hendricks compeating teams, and the rest give up,lol. i say they need a 3 car cap.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's not just taking care of the business side. It's being able to let a crew chief call the shots.
    That's the problem Daryl Waltrip had. He was over riding the crew chief from the cockpit because he owned the team. I've heard him talk about that.
    If he can successfully compartmentalize his role as owner and driver then he might do well.
    Then the biggest issue is partnership. Partnerships in business are doomed from the start.
    I wish him well. I agree he is talented and love his demeanor.

I just wish he would have gone to a good team and played with owning after he was done racing.

10. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i bet tony wins where ever he goes. 2 years ago he put a midget team together in a week they built 2 cars in three days hauled to tulsa backed off the truck and won the chili bowl nationals in very convinceing fashion. if nascar would get rid of restrictor plates and let the guy with the biggest hairiest pair and most talent win , i think he would dominate the big tracks........... I think he will race a few more years and then be quite content to promote some of the best shows on dirt at eldora. which is an awsome track by the way. i have been to 2 kings royal events there. aint nothin like seeing a winged sprinter carry the front wheels about 8 inches off the ground down the back stretch at 160 mph

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :0a27:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I think he'll break the mold as driver/owners. I'd say he'll get a good crew chief and let him call the shots by himself. From what I understand Joe is gonna pretty much let Tony run the show and do what he wants.
    I don't think he'll be like DW or MW or any of the others that have done poorly. I believe he has more sense and has learned from the previous owners and will do it right. I figure once he's in the car he'll be 100% driver and out of the car then take on the ownership side. I think Tony is smart enough to not make the mistakes made by the others. I may be wrong but thats what I think.
    Another thing is Hendrick trains the teams, supplies the chassis and engines. I really can't blame him for doing it. To me its a win win situation. You gotta think, Haas/CNC hasn't had a good driver ever, even with the Hendrick support. With Tony and most likely Newman running, 2 first class drivers I believe thats gonna spell success. As I said before I may be wrong but I don't think so.
    I agree with you, I wish he would have went to Hendrick and made the Ultimate Dream Team but In a way I can't blame him, who wants to run behind Gordon, Earnhardt and Johnson? Not a younger driver with his abilities.
    I also wish him well, behind Jr he is my 2nd fav driver. I have his autograph on a Dale Sr. shirt and my Mom had her picture taken with him. He's a first class guy and I love his attitude.:wink::big_smile::cool2:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wonder if Home Depot goes with him?

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nope that was part of the deal, tony would not anyone or thing with him.He will be driving for a depot thu. Office Depot will be one of tonys sponcers.
    smokey

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i seen that. leave carl for tony???? or maybe carl has a better one than a pen store.:wink: ok i just checked. aflac will be primary after 08 and beyond.

[youtubevid]4SZ_q3pfy0o[/youtubevid]:smile2::smile2:

16. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    deahmm now what am I going to do with bright orange home depot outfitted camery!!!!!!!!!!! ya have any idea how hard it was to convince wife it was a normal color for car??????.......and all my Tony Stewart/home depot decorated "mans den" but no matter I will still support Smoke on his coming season hell im kinda like a San Diego Padres fan root for em no matter how bad they are doing.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    kind of how i felt after jarrett went from red white blue to sh&* storm brown.

ive yet to buy a #99 car. i have dozens of jarretts.:cool2:

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Same as I felt when JR went to Hendrick. I had tons of hats and shirts. Now I have one new JR shirt.....and no hats.:embarassed:

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i still have the texaco 28 with little davey. if he hadn't been such a thrill seeker in that helicopter things would look alot different in the current driver standings for wins and championships i think.

20. linda3d

linda3d New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tony is my guy! I'm feeling weird about the change but excited too. I have several #20 items(coffee cup, key chain, 6 pack cokes, nite shirt, mini car, watch, chair, etc......Will his number change?????? I'll be catfishing in Brushy Creek early in the morninng(found a sweet hole, pulling 2 to 5 lbs) and watching the race later! Ahhhh. Good times!