It's not all about catching fish!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Dec 17, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    After about 2 or 3 weeks of absolutely no fishing, and right before I went completely insane due to the fact of not fishing in weeks, my dad finally had enough time to take me to the lake again.

Left around 4pm yesterday afternoon, my dad had to be back for work around 8pm, so at least we had a few hours. What a pleasent evening on the lake! About 60 degrees, no wind, and not another boat in the whole area! We had no bait, so we took advice of some local friends and tried a couple new spots. First spot was a shallow area in a creek, we could tell they were in there due to all of the rings on top of the water, but there was so much Hyrdrilla (Weeds) that when I threw the net I could barely pull it up, and when I did no shad were in it anyway! I don't know how they were getting away from me, because I know for a fact that the rings on top of the water everywhere were shad, I've thrown my net on them before in open water and caught a ton of them, they are always the smaller shad though.

Darkness was approaching by now, and we realized if we could not catch bait soon we would have no time to fish! So we jetted down to another spot that was recommended to me, which is Gaston Dam. Only problem is, they had it running on full blast. We got close to the wall and threw the net, current was ripping so hard though that we felt we were in danger and just got out of there! The one time we did throw it, we caught no shad. We patrolled the general area for about 15 minutes trying to find some evidence there were shad somewhere that we could actually throw the net without being in danger. After not seeing anything for a while in the area we just threw the net a few times in the open water anyway hoping to just get extremely lucky. No luck though, and by now we only had about an hour left!

We went back to the creek we started at which was close by, and looked around lights for shad, with again, no success. We then realized we were pretty much done in as far as fishing goes for that night, but that if we could catch some bait we could probably come after my dad gets out of work for another short trip. So we took one last good effort at catching bait, and headed to our normal bait spot which only has shad at night though. Only problem is, when we arrived there they must have still had Gaston Dam going hard, because the current was ripping there at the bridge where I catch the bait normally. The shad were just not there, too much current for them.

Well sadly, we were out of time and just had to give up. But, the reason I write this, is because I now have a new, stronger, appreciation for just being fortunate enough to be on the water away from the stress of everyday life. To be away from all of the aggrevation of everyday occurances. And hope everyone realizes how fortunate they are just to have the chance to fish. It's not all about catching fish. When I fish, it's for many different reasons. Of course it's fun to catch fish, and that's a huge part of it. But the quality time I spend with my dad on the water is unbeatable, the memories last a lifetime, and the more time we spend together the closer we get. The laughs and good times we have while we are fishing are great too!

I hope everyone remembers this on a day when they are fishing, and maybe just not having the best luck, and say "Why am I out here wasting my time?". Just Be happy you are out there, and are fortunate enough to be able to be out on the water.

Zakk

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That was a great post Zakk. I too go out to relax not just catch fish. I figure if I catch anything it's a bonus. I enjoy just being around the water watching the wildlife around me and all the different types of boats out on the water. Yes it's great to catch fish but like you said that's not what it's all about.
    Most of the time i'm by my eslf so all I can do is look at the senery.
    You really don't realize what is around you till you take the time to really look. Again great post.Thanks for sharing your feelings.

3. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are so right ! It's often not about the fish. Here is one of my favorite quotes"

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    -Thoreau-

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ah man, I know exactly how you feel, nothing takes the stress out of my life like hitting the water, even without catching anything. I wanted to get out today, it was 60 degrees, but studying for finals consumed my entire day and when I got done, I just didn't have the drive to load my stuff up.

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I second that motion...the peace, quiet, and being outdoors...away from the crowd is what gives me a feeling of content that makes me live in the moment without any of the trivial worries that dominate my life in other areas.

Being hip deep in the river clears my mind...the warm spring sun on the back of my neck...the turkey gobbling from the nearby woods...the Red Tailed Hawk or the Peregrin falcon circling over head...the current pushing against the back of my legs...as I patiently anticipate the next hard run when yet another 20 lb blue takes my offering.

That thunderous splash and that tail thrashing back and forth on the surface of the 3 foot deep riffle.

The surging rod...and the singing drag.

Then you manage to tighten down the drag on the Abu 6500...strung with 65 lb Powerpro...and you turn him. All that's left to do now is reel her up...wrestle her onto the stringer...and it's winner winner fish dinner.

Even if you take away the biting fish...and don't catch anything...it's still better than the best day at work.

Besides...the dairy bell at the edge of town makes a mean cheese burger...and the onion rings are to die for. Then there's that Chunky strawberry milkshake.

That my friends...is what it's REALLY all about.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great post Zak! I try to get out as often as possible but sometimes a unexpected happening comes along and next thing you know - NO Fishing! Keep on keepin' on my brother!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep I love to catch fish and after this summer i was feeling a bit depressed till I got to thinking why do I fish anyway You are so right we should treasure the time spent fishing with others even if we dont catch anything

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, glad to hear other people feel the same as I do. By the way, I should be doing a lot of fishing in the next couple weeks while I'm out of school, so I will have a lot of reports.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great post Zakk ITs about just being out on the water you are right on :0a23: :0a23:

10. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Thanks for the post Zakk. It brought up a lot of memories that I have of fishing with my Dad. He's been gone 5 years now, but I can still hear him holler for the net! Or hear him laughing at me for catching a turtle or goo or anything that we wasn't fishin' for. Some of the best times of my life were spent on the water with him. And we didn't always catch fish. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything in the world. I miss him a lot, but he's still with me in my memories!!

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Zakk,

You have incredible perspective for a man your age. I wish I had more when I was younger. Would have helped me to appreciate the time I spent fishing with my granddad alot more while it was happening instead of just when looking back today.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    wow! i never heard that quote before!!

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks guys, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

14. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    Very helpful post Zak I really enjoy all your post

15. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I've had people laugh at me before for fishing a long time and not catching anything. But they just don't get it. I'd rather be sitting in my boat in the middle of the night, on water that looks like glass and not catching nothing. Than sitting at a red light trying to get home from somewhere in a city where I didn't have any fun anyway. But to each his own.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about! Usually if someone ask me if I caught anything after a really long trip and I say no, they freak out and act like I was wasting my time, it's alright to me though because it means more room on the water for me!:big_smile:

17. diotec

diotec New Member

State:
    Nashville/TN
    You are right, if it was not for my Dad I would not enjoy fishing as much. I love it when we go out together

18. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Zakk,

Your post says it all. The way I look at it it isn't the fish that you bring home it's the memories of being with family and good friends that last forever that counts.

19. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Well said Zakk it is nice to catch fish but it is also good to get out there with a fishing buddy and enjoy being outdoors. I no longer every get mad when i don't catch fish it is just a major part of this game every now and then and that is cool with me.

Wheelmobile07