its happened..

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wil, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    im finally getting the itch for turkey season.. and im bound and determined to get my first one with my bow this year! ive got all my other goals except this one and im going to achieve it! shootings not a problem as of now but i need to work on my calling.

anyone else gettin the longbeard itch?

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Once rabbit season closes I will start looking for other things to do. Getting the boat out to chase the big blue and maybe some crappie are just a few. Turkeys on the other hand...I don't do anything but turkey hunt til I've filled my tags. :wink: I love to hear and see those gobblers do their thing. I'm not much for using the bow to hunt turkeys....I like to eat them too much.:smile2: Mossburg 835 12 ga for me topped with #5 turkey loads for me.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    dont get my wrong i dont mind smackin a few with the ole benelli.. but i havent got one with my bow yet and its alot harder killin one with their eyesight and all... its pullin back the bow that gets me every time!

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a couple of multi bearded birds I've killed. Gobble Gobble....

Attached Files:

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I completely understand the challenge to harvest one with the bow. I've managed only one turkey in all of the 16 years I've bow hunted. Funny thing...they'd been coming up in my yard eating acorns late one winter. So one day I saw them coming to the yard. I went and grabbed my bow off the spare bed. I opened the screen door and drew back (while standing inside the house). I picked out the closest bird and settled on the base of the neck. I let it fly and the bird started flopping.:smile2::wink::cool2: I shot this turkey while standing inside my house. I then grabbed another arrow and drew again on another bird. I let the second arrow fly and missed the second shot. :eek:oooh::embarassed::sad2: This in a nut shell is how I killed my only turkey via bow and arrow.

Good luck this year with your quest this spring. The main thing is enjoying the hunt harvest or not. If I've been able to hear, see, and work a bird then it has been a successful hunt.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be in the woods chasing the longbeards with the bow this year. Haven't shot one in the last 2 years. 2007 didn't make it out because of parental issues (YOUNGSTERS)! 1 and 2 year old boys. 2008 only allowed a couple of hunts. Got busted by yelping hens acting like watchdogs for the toms. To bad hens can't get shot in the spring, but I understand the reason for that. Breeding purposes.

Anyhow, this year should be different and hopefully hit it real hard. Smack the big boy this year. Got 6 turkeys with the bow so far. 5 jakes and 1 tom with an 8" beard.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya ive only had a few shots and they were all at jakes.. those toms are stubborn as mules! stupid jakes tho are lookin for any peice of tail they can get.. hopefully this year i connect haha

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am getting pumped too. Turkey season is a great time of year, ya have the morells popping up, Turkeys gobbling, and the crappies are on the banks. Can't beat it.

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    amen to that brother! amen

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jess got it figured out.Many more weekends like this and i'll start listenin.

11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Come on guys, I just got over waterfowl and deer season. :wink:

And Jess you did not have to mention that morel word.

Yup the other day I was just looking at my decoys that I have used for the last 12 years, staples holding them together and all. Might be time for a upgrade. I guess my calls are still in the fridge somewhere.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am up and ready. I heard so many birds gobblin wile deer hunting this year.

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i made the mistake of seein an old struttin tom while goose hunting with my dad... now im never gonna get rid of this fever!.. not till season opens neways :wink:

14. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    all i can say is yall are behind already!!!! yes its true, i have got one already. not by weapon of choice mind you but it did the trick. i used the windshield and passenger side door and window of my truck. or rather it did when it flew into my truck on my way to work. $585 to replace everything. i dont like turkeys anymore...lol

15. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey Wil !!! better make sure YOU dont grow a beard or some one might put an arrow in YOUR butt :smile2::smile2: just kiddin good luck !!! :cool2:

16. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    The seasons 2 months away, and I am already losing my mind thinking about turkeys, lol. I keep shed hunting and shooting my bow as much as possible to keep myself occupied but still the season cant come soon enough. I just bought a Diamond Black Ice, and I am loving it :smile2:. I am ready to try to put my G5 montec into a turkey.:sad2:

17. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya ive heard nothing but good things about the diamond line! good luck with it