It's better to have more bait than you need.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Dec 25, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It was late May, and my buddy Steve and I headed to Stewart Lake in Scioto Trails State Forest. We needed to catch approximately fifteen red-ear sunfish for our night's flathead adventure. Sunfish were spawning and the shallowed-out depressions of their beds were numerous at the shallow end of the lake. For some reason the red-ears weren't biting that day, and it took us over three hours to collect the bait we needed. However, we found from previous experiences that when the sunfish aren't biting, the flatheads are. Tonight was no exception.

We arrived at our designated flathead spot for the evening and got busy setting up for the long night. There was a hint of a storm in the distance, as thunder could be heard many miles away. We got our four rods baited up with red-ear, and after casting them into the creek, we anticipated the night's first flathead. Our wait was short, as the drag on one of Steve's spinning rods started screaming. He picked up his rod and quickly opened the bail on his reel, and at the same time was cranking his drag down tight, which had been loosened to allow a fish to run without feeling resistance. After setting the hook he realized he had a good fish, which turned out weighing 22-lbs.

About twenty minutes later, I got a hit on one of my rods, and I set the hook on what has turned out to be the biggest flathead I have ever caught at the time. The fish put up a good fight, but I had no intentions of letting it get away, and it was no match for the heavy duty tackle I was using. We were both very excited as we were weighing the fish and it pulled my scales down to their limit of 40-lbs.

By midnight we ended up catching four more flatheads, between 15-25 lbs. We had to stop fishing because we had run out of bait. I will always wonder how many fish we could have caught that night if we had come better prepared with more bait. The moral of this story is: Always bring more bait than you think you will need. The below pic shows me with the 40-lber I caught that night.

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've been there too. On both sides of it. You're right when you say that when the perch don't cooperate...is when the flats are biting like crazy. Other times I'd start with 48 perch, and end with 44. This year I'm changing my readiness level. I use traps to catch most of my perch, so it's not that difficult to keep a few dozen on hand if you can keep them alive. My next purchase after this years tackle will be a large water trough and a 110 volt aereator. That way I can keep perch on hand, and not run out like I have before when the perch didn't show up, but the flathead did.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FYI:

Flathunter is suspose to be my best pal, but DO YOU THINK HE'S EVER TAKEN ME TO THIS SPOT?

Heck No. :crying:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Uh Buddy, you have fished this spot and gotten skunked :D

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NO man, I sware we have never fished there. We've talked about it, but never done it.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brian,
    What kind of a trap do you use to catch the perch?

7. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    WOW! Real nice flathead you caught there. I know about large cats getting away, because I've lost a few monsters which have either broken my line or straightened out the hook and I am happy you were able to pull this one in.
    Say I also am interested in what type of perch trap you are using?

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'll bring you 100 green sunfish if you'll show me the spot flathunter lol.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I use a homeade round wire mesh trap with three throats. I'll wire a piece of burlap inside the trap with raw bacon wrapped inside it as bait. A carpenter buddy of mine has my last one at his shop for a blueprint. He's making me four more. Unfortunately, I go through a couple a year due to people stealing them.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks Brian
    I have a pond here at my house that is full of green sunfish. I usally just have the kids catch them a day before we go fishing, but the trap would be a lot easier. The pond gets a lot of what I call duck weed in the summer, I think I will buy some grass carp this spring to see if that will help keep it cleaner. Any secret bait you guys use in the perch traps?

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Dink, I'll tell you the spot for some Greensun fish, heck I'll show all if Jacks spots!....... but then he'd kill both of us.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO, its cool, sciotos a little farther than id want to drive anyway. maybe once or twice a year.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We'll have to hook up on the GMR. Theres a stretch I'd lile to try. I'll PM ya.

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Troy, when I was growing up we had a great pond in the back pasture that had a thriving black perch population that my cousins and I exploited MANY weekends during the spring and summer over the years to bait our trotlines, limb lines, and jig poles that we ran in the river. If the perch weren't biting there...they weren't biting anywhere. It was too deep to seine, and we didn't yet know about the practicality of throw nets or traps. We'd still catch as many as we ever needed with a little bitty trout hook baited with a piece of nightcrawler or sod worm that we had dug up from the creek bank along the path to the pond.

About your weed problem. While the carp will help keeping down the weeds in a normal situation (If enough are stocked per acre)...they're probably not the solution for an overgrowth of aquatic weeds. Our pond was 2 1/2 acres...and it would tend to get really choked up with hydrilla and moss. We lived with that. When the lily pads started showing up...my grandpa went to the local Farmers CO-OP and bought some aquatic weed killer. We spread it out evenly from a jon boat...and over the course of three days the water was milky white. After it cleared up...there wasn't a weed or any moss in sight. NOTHING! And it stayed that way for three years. It was a process we had to repeat every so often...but it worked. And not one dead fish as a result. IMO it's worth a try...although I would understand the apprehension of putting a herbicide in the water with your fish. I wasn't initially very cozy about the idea either....but that stuff is a miracle if your weeds are bad enough.

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I always take to much bait, just in case, I hope to use it all one of these days :D

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Me too.....I'm always prepared for a great day.....although that hardly ever happens..... :0a32: