It's been quiet here in the Nebraska area!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by strohcephus, Mar 7, 2006.

1. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It's been pretty nice, who's been catchin em!

Little moisture on the way:)

2. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I've been out a few times on the Misssouri, but haven't had any luck yet :mad:

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I might go out Thursday morning if the weather holds and we don't get too much rain. If not then, next week for sure.... tax money comes in, week off of work what could be better?

TA2D

4. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Looks like it might snow now next week.

5. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Think I might give'er a try tonight see what happens.

6. whisker

whisker New Member

State:
    N.E. Nebrasky
    I tried a couple weeks ago when the geese weren't flyin...no luck. The water is still pretty cold up here in n.e. Nebraska. They'll bite all winter, but you've got to find them. They don't tend to travel too far looking for food, but if you can locate them where deep water meets a semi deep shelf, you can get them. Fresh bloody liver or really oily cut bait can entice them to bite. If you see alot of winter killed shad along the shoreline, use it! After ice out when the water just starts warming a bit, they will gorge themselves on winter killed baitfish! I'm gonna hang out in the blind looking for snow geese for a couple more weeks, then get to fishing!

7. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    went to branched oak on saturday and got skunked but hey got the boat out and is running swell so i'm happy. lots of dead fish on that lake, hardly marked any fish on the sonar. lots of winterkill though and the fish will not be hungry for the next week or so.

8. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I think I'm a bit late getting on the start of it, but there seems to be a good bite on channels right now in the Omaha area. I had a pretty good morning last Saturday. Intend to get on a bit harder now.:rolleyes:

9. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Where are you fishing in Omaha? Missouri River or one of the lakes in town. I remember going to Wehrspann all last summer and the Channels were hitting everything we through in the water.

SudDawg

10. Wampus Cat

Wampus Cat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am new to this...how do i post a message or question...thanks

11. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    How's it going? Yea, W is a good lake, but I do better from shore up at Cunningham. If you check out my pics on here, most of those fish came from up there. They are drawing that lake down now for a renovation and it's actually making my shore spot better than it was last year! (for the moment anyway, it won't last, but I'm trying to get on them while it's good!)

Any of the lakes around town, the Bear, Zorinsky, all have good cats. You have to work a bit at times to get them, but there are real nice ones to be had. They are all still there too, as I always CPR, so you can have a shot at them when you get back here!

God Bless you and all the great folks over in the sand box for all you do, Suddawg. If there's anything we can do on here for you over there, just ask.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

If you don't mind Catfishsteve, what do you use for bait for those nice Channels you got? I can come accross plenty of frozen shad, creek chubs (live or dead,) and of course bluegills. Are you using a Carolina Rig, and what size hooks. Thanks

SudDawg

13. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Suddawg,

I've been using a number of baits in April and having some success. So far, the #1 bait has been fresh shrimp. #2 has been a bluegill head.

I think they are keying on those kind of things as there aren't many big shad or other minnows around yet.

I use a carolina rig, 2 oz no-roll slip sinker and a circle hook, Gamkatsu or Eagle claw, about the size of a 50-cent piece. The makers of hooks can't seem to decide on a standard hook # size for circles, so I don't pay attention to the numbers.

I use 25 lb Berkley Big Game line and a 50lb mono leader, as I fish a lot around old broken up concrete and asphalt in the water and it tears up the line.

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks Catfishsteve. I'll definately have to try that either in August if the lake isn't being worked on, or next year. Thanks

SudDawg