its almost winter!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by mr channel, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    well now that its getting colder what is everybody up to ive never had much kluch fishing for cats in the winter has anyone got a good story???

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    winter is when i really get into gear on fishing for my trout and fish like that. i do catch cats during the winter to but concentrate more on trout. and if the weather is to nasty out i build planes or tie flys or make some bass lures for next season.

3. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    i like to trout fish were in indiana are you fishin i live just south of kokomo in central indiana would love to get on some trout tho the only time i geto to fish for them is when i got to tennessee and fish on the chillhowy inside the cherocee national forest????
    ignore the bad spelling lol

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    This will be the first winter that I will continue chasing the "mystical giant" blue! :p

I don't plan on stopping the everlong quest to conguer and capture the beasts of the depths!...Come heck or FROZEN water!!!

When I do lasso one of these "fairytale" creatures, I will shout from the bow of my boat!...then I will go home and share my journey with you all! :cool:

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    when i go back east i fish a few places that friends take me to not sure of the names of the rivers lol

7. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    Last year at the club ice fishing outing, several nice channel cats were caught through the ice.
    I was very surprised that anglers were catching them that time of year. They were fishing for panfish and walleye, and ended up with a very nice mess of catfish.
    I agree with River Rat, don't give up on them just because its cold outside !

8. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    From what I've seen winter is one of the best times to catch large quantities of trophy catfish. Blues and Flatheads are especially easy to target during this time. The Ohio River is a great winter fishing location. The current and the barge traffic keep the river from freezing over. The best way to catch them is to just find the deepest hole you can find. One of the places we fish has a 60-70 ft. hole in a bend in the river ( water is usually about 30 ft. deep). This deep water will stay warmer longer and the fish will congregate. You can sit in one spot and catch several big fish. Cut bait such as skipjack and shad work the best during this time period. They are an oily fish and will leave a scent trail in the water. That can be key when trying to get a sluggish fish to bite.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

mr channel there are a few lakes stocked with trout north northeast of you. get one of those fat lake map books at wally world,it will tell you were to go. i fish for them at clear lake(freemont in.) have also caught them at chain o lakes (albion) and lake clair(huntington) which is probly the closest to you. if you go in search of these tasty critters drop me a PM, i love trout yummy. hehe

10. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    ill let ya know if i can get out there